Ok so I have a question?

My question is this I finished EMT-B school in May and can't go in the filed in till October 6th and I find my self forgetting things what should I do? I read my book every night and been using my flash cards as well to help me rember but my problem is doing assments and vitles. What to do?

PS: My family wont let me use them any more!!! Because I used them first and now my older sister is starting nursing school and useing them as well so they said NO MORE!!!

Dont worry too much its not a big deal. First and foremost that book will only teach you so much, once you get in the field and start doing it you will remember. No one is going to expect you to know absoloutley everything... and the only stupid question is one not asked. I wasnt that great with BPs when I first started in the field and that was with practice... but it came with time. The only thing you should worry about is if youve been around a while and still cant retain anything. But your still fresh so just relax!

If you can remember your SAMPLE and OPQRST but most importantly ABCs assesments arnt so bad. Youll just have to remember when to do focused vs rapid. Trauma in itself is pretty easy, I think of it as a (gentle) head to foot full body massage.

Again, just relax. You said you wont be in the field untill October? Am I to assume you have a job. Go there and ask them to help you out, it cant hurt and it will show your motivated. We have all been in your shoes and most (Ill be honest not all) will respect that.

Best of luck and welcome to EMS.

Ok so got to relax? Right? And whats a good way to get practice? Talk to others in the filed? Should I do more secinarios? Ask another EMT or Medic if I can practice on them? I work as a Vehicle Service Tech (VST) I clean, wash, stock, and gas the Ambulance.

The book is book. Reality is the book goes out the window on somethings if not most things in the field in my experience. Just chill, find outside sources on net to study kinda give yourself a broad band idea but u will get it all when the time comes to do the job in the field it comes back to you.

Ok so got to relax? Right? And whats a good way to get practice? Talk to others in the filed? Should I do more secinarios? Ask another EMT or Medic if I can practice on them? I work as a Vehicle Service Tech (VST) I clean, wash, stock, and gas the Ambulance.

Spelling would be a great start....

Voleenteer at the local hospital maybe you can pick up some assessment skills and practice your vitals there. Anything to tone up your senses to where you need to be as Future EMT on the back of a truck.

Why can't you do anything in EMS till Oct. 6[sup:7161e099e5]th[/sup:7161e099e5]?

I'd suggest looking for a volunteer, municipal or private, EMS service to run with. Most services will take just about anyone and give them a chance.

I would suggest enrolling in some real college courses. You might look at a obtaining a degree, which will make your job search so much more successful. If college isn't your thing, don't fret... There is always some bottom-feeder private ambulance company out there willing to hire anyone for roughly $0.12 more than you would earn slinging burgers at the Wendy's. Of course, a lot of them only pay for 12 - 16 hours of a 24 hour shift, which would put you at the minimal pay for "tipped" employees. Last time I checked, it's around $3.00/hr. Good luck! :thumbright:

4cmk6:

4cmk6: Why can't you do anything in EMS till Oct. 6th?

Because you have to work in the position you started in for 6months before you can transfer in to another deparment.I started working at the company before i finished school so I could have a foot in the door. Also I am working tords an associate degree in Science/Nursing and English.