Advice Needed

mrsbull

A tap/bop on the nose works pretty consistantly. I might have missed it, but what kind of puppy is it? How big will it get? Sounds like you might have your hands full.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She is a spaniel,lab X. We are popping her on her nose however she does not seem to be bothered with it.

Trial and error I guess.

Sharp noises seem to get better results than just a swat. Thats why I usually break a bad habit from most dogs with the can trick. Some like the shock collars that are sold to break bad habits.

She is a spaniel,lab X. We are popping her on her nose however she does not seem to be bothered with it.

Trial and error I guess.

Some of the most playful and energetic breeds. When you do find that something works, stay consistent with it. Have fun. :wink:

I would have to say that I agree with all the above advice so far, but the biggest issue with disciplining your dog is consistency. You really need to stay on top of it, and render the same punishment every time.

I would also advise that you educate your DD as well. Find out what behavior your DD is doing to provoke the puppy, and teach her that it will get her nipped. Make it an educational game so that she can learn to live with the pup long term.

"Putting down" the dog, in my opinion, isn't needed just yet. Give it some time. I have a 10 month old St Bernard that still gets wound up and forgets, sometimes me or my fiance get bitten by him, but he is still a 110lb pup, and just needs that extra attention that all pups need.

A 2 year old, a 4 year old, and a really young puppy are a bad mix.

1) Puppies that young think all living creatures are puppies just like them, and they operate under "puppy" rules, thinking the human puppies will just accept being nipped or bitten.

2) Children that young seem to think that puppies are animated stuffed animals. If the child, or children, do something upsetting, startling, or hurting the puppy, the puppy will react like the puppy it is: biting or nipping.

3) I mention here, under NYC law, if any dog bites a total of 3 reported incidents, the animal is going to be put down.

3-A) A 90 year old man was attacked by 2 Pit bulls on Staten Island, New York, and, for all reports on TV and in the newspapers, they started to eat him alive! The animals had been terrorizing the block for a long time, before they crawled under the fence (again!), to attack the man. The animals were tranquilized, transported to an animal control hospital, where, due to them having eaten human flesh, they were destroyed. The man died of his injuries about a month later. The dog's owner has been to court on charges related to the dog attack, and is due back in court for additional charges related to the 90 year olds death.

A 2 year old, a 4 year old, and a really young puppy are a bad mix.

1) Puppies that young think all living creatures are puppies just like them, and they operate under "puppy" rules, thinking the human puppies will just accept being nipped or bitten.

2) Children that young seem to think that puppies are animated stuffed animals. If the child, or children, do something upsetting, startling, or hurting the puppy, the puppy will react like the puppy it is: biting or nipping.

3) I mention here, under NYC law, if any dog bites a total of 3 reported incidents, the animal is going to be put down.

3-A) A 90 year old man was attacked by 2 Pit bulls on Staten Island, New York, and, for all reports on TV and in the newspapers, they started to eat him alive! The animals had been terrorizing the block for a long time, before they crawled under the fence (again!), to attack the man. The animals were tranquilized, transported to an animal control hospital, where, due to them having eaten human flesh, they were destroyed. The man died of his injuries about a month later. The dog's owner has been to court on charges related to the dog attack, and is due back in court for additional charges related to the 90 year olds death.

This sounds more like the owner not giving a damn what the dogs do, and ultimately led to the destruction of the animals. While it's sad that the dogs had to be put down for their behavior, I can understand the rationale behind it.

We can only hope that in addition to the charges the owner already faces concerning the attack on the man, that the owner is also charged for the destruction of the dogs involved. Had the owner been more responsible, there would have been a much different outcome.

While I'm not one of those highly visible PETA members, and I do not believe that a pet has more rights than humans, I hate to see the needless destruction of a pet because they're old, misbehaving or simply not wanted any longer.

I forgot something...

4) Don't use the rolled up newspaper to swat the dog as a corrective measure, even if it doesn't hurt the dog, and might just scare him with the noise. The dog learns to associate the newspaper with discipline, and then along comes the newspaper delivery kid on the bicycle, carrying numerous "disciplines" in the bag over the shoulder, and the dog attacks.

I spent 5 years delivering newspapers.

Any animal of mine that bites me or family would be dead.....

Wow, once again I'm shocked to recieve the dumbest possible answer from you....

Someone swat him with a newspaper, would you?

Dwayne