Very sick kid

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone checked lung sounds, heart sounds, bowel sounds, pupils, and also the fontanels? Why did he get seen in Mexico? What sign and symptoms were they seeing to have him assessed there? Where was he born, America or Mexico? Need to find out about his/her immunization status as well.

Thats a good start I think, too bad I saw this scenario several posts too late :)

So we have a hypoglycemic newborn with a temp of 100.2 (hmmmm). He looks sick so we've intubated him. We've given him an inadequate fluid bolus and he doesn't seem to be improving. What are we missing? What else are we going to do?

Can we give him antipyretics?

Not doing a type of focal febrile seizure right? Not sure what else we can do for temp...like said earlier could be septic...but what can we do for that...

And like reaper said, Ruff, after the interventions, expect baby to pink up and VS to stablize . . .?

Intubation was definately one of the right steps

Fluid bolus given with mild results

You are about 6 blocks from the hospital and your ambulance struck on the passenger door side by a driver who had the green light and you had the red. (you were running L&S though). Your ambulance is dead in the road.

No injuries to you, mom or baby or partner but what happens now?

Remember we have a 5 day old tubed, scalp veined and very very sick

What happens now.

(You didn't think I was gonna let you get to the hospital that easy did you??????)

Give second fluid bolus. If another unit is not close, then have you partner grab equipment bag and start hoofing the 6 blocks!

Or just grab the closest vehicle, when the driver sees you bagging an infant I think they'll have no problem driving you to the hospital!

Did anyone question the D25 dosage given earlier?

What do you want to check after being hit by the car. Is there something you want to immediately check?