ff1,or2

wildfire66

Wow, I knew you could start fires with books I didn't know you could fight them though... I need water and a hose (or other delivery and suppression systems) :twisted: :wink:

Never underestimate the power of a book.... :D

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok...so I got hold of the AZ state Fire Marshal's Office, training division, and the lady there...Molina stated "I don't know what the difference is. You'd have to look at a course." So...who knows in AZ what the difference is. I was told, however that they are no longer held separately (1 and 2) and are now held as one course, so you come out of any academy in AZ with your 1 & 2.

It's been that way in IL for at least 15 yrs. that I know of, maybe even longer.

I have my "Essentials of fire fighting" thats all I need to fight fires, now I have other training like of course EMT,CPR, Confined space rescue, trench rescue and others.

My dept wants everybody to have FF1 by January 2010, I personally think its a money hungry thing, my president/LT told me at my fire dept that to get grants we have to have so many FF1 trained guys or we wont get any. Im happy with what I have.

For the love of God I hope you are joking.

The days of joining up at the local Fire Dept, then running a structure fire as soon as one comes in are long since over.

Building construction, fire behavior, and fuel loads have changed dramatically in the last decade.

Not to mention all of the new and devious ways of forceable entry have changed, due to, once again, building construction change.

Yes, the USFA, and FEMA are now requiring a MINIMUM of FF-1, ICS-100, 200, NIMS 700, 800, and, IIRC, Bloodborne pathogens, as well as HazMat awareness for ALL combat employees (including VFFs) in order to be considered for a grant.

To be honest, that is too little, too late. A minimum of First Responder, and FF2 needs to be implimented as well.

Firefighting is not just a physical career. There needs to be brains behind the brawn.

FFI is monkey work. FFII is when you actually use your brain, and muscles in order to make yourself an asset to your agency, and the taxpayers.

For example, in Florida for one to volunteer at a FD, the minimum they need to ride on an engine is FF1. I do not know the exact hours for this particular qualification. If you want to be paid, you have to have FFII. In order for me to be FFII, I attended a college program and completed 450 clock hours so the state would recognize my level.

I believe it comes down to NFPA requirements as well for regulating the different level. I am in an airport right now so I do not have my resources near by, but that is the difference in Florida and if I am not mistaken, everywhere...can anyone correct me on that?

Ak, if only the law was followed. :roll:

As it currently stands, FFI is 180 hrs, and FFII is 280 hours. FFII is known as minimum standards, as in the minimum to get hired with a career dept.

In light of the current urban interface wildfire problem, Florida will be changing the FFI curriculum to include Red Card, or the minimum training to fight a wildfire.

All in all, firefighting is more than just grabbing a hose and spraying water. Saw too many rookies that thought that and they were sorely mistaken. A few quit because of it. Guess they just wanted the patch.

...my president/LT told me at my fire dept that to get grants we have to have so many FF1 trained guys or we wont get any.

George Bush is a member of your fire department? :shock:

I'm sorry I missed the original replies to this thread. I bet they were great! :P

George Bush is a member of your fire department? :shock:

I'm sorry I missed the original replies to this thread. I bet they were great! :lol:

Dont insult my department like that Dust... :P

I do have a NIMS course, and HM awareness and some other classes.

For the love of God I hope you are joking.

The days of joining up at the local Fire Dept, then running a structure fire as soon as one comes in are long since over.

Building construction, fire behavior, and fuel loads have changed dramatically in the last decade.

Not to mention all of the new and devious ways of forceable entry have changed, due to, once again, building construction change.

Yes, the USFA, and FEMA are now requiring a MINIMUM of FF-1, ICS-100, 200, NIMS 700, 800, and, IIRC, Bloodborne pathogens, as well as HazMat awareness for ALL combat employees (including VFFs) in order to be considered for a grant.

To be honest, that is too little, too late. A minimum of First Responder, and FF2 needs to be implimented as well.

Firefighting is not just a physical career. There needs to be brains behind the brawn.

FFI is monkey work. FFII is when you actually use your brain, and muscles in order to make yourself an asset to your agency, and the taxpayers.

I do have a NIMS course and I do have the BBP class, and a few others..