rural ems

In the very thread you posted in "Rural EMS", there are over a dozen topics exactly like this one with some great information.

Some of the topics are 8, 9, and 10 pages long!!

Tons of useful information in there from current and past members. I strongly encourage you to read those and then respond from one of those threads.

Welcome to the site and do not forget about our useful "Search" feature at the top of the page that will guide you to other useful threads on just about any topic you can think of.

The difference between rural and urban EMS is... Time. People are farther away from EMS; EMS is father away from hospitals. The nature of the calls is basically the same, however, in smaller areas, people are more likely to only call when its necessary. Time can be a real bitch sometimes too.

BTW.. Welcome to Chat. 3PN :roll:

I switched to a rural system after being an "urban" paramedic for 7 years when I was promoted last year. There are quite a few differences. Response times are much longer, I have areas of my district that are 70 minutes away running code. That in mind, you get to see the meds actually work. In the city its one thing to give Lasix. In the country you give the Lasix but in a half hour you now have to deal with the pee. We give a lot more pain meds just due to re-dosing. I have really come to realize that dirt and gravel roads are pure evil. The one thing that I really despise though is in a rural system you have a rural "hospital". Anything that is remotely serious gets transferred out. Either to a facility 75 or 120 miles away. Even the types of ambulances are different. In the city I had a nice mod. Out here we are running in a 4 wheel drive type 1. All things considered, I think it has been a good experience doing rural EMS. But I cant wait to transfer back to the city!!

ahhhhh

i think the basic reply is

rural is in the country

urban is in the city

im just from a small country downunder, but thats the differences i can see :D/

In my experience rural EMS forces you to know your protocols better, know your medications better and know the disease process better. Transport times are long, response times feel longer. In the big cities you can practically spit and hit a hospital. Out here in the rural areas, you might be 30 minutes to 2 hours from a hospital. You really do get to see medications work. It is not unusual to work a code on the way to the hospital to have the physician call it when you hit the door, not because you weren't doing it right, but because after 4 or 5 rounds of meds there is nothing left to do. You balance the short term good effects with longer term consequences of the meds (Lasix is a prime example). You have a chance to develop friendships with the physicians and nurses. You earn their trust, they know you by your first name and you know theirs.

I also believe that we see more true emergencies and less taxi work. Patients seem to really appreciate what you are doing for them and they regret having to get you out of bed or keep you up late. The best part of rural EMS is getting to know your patients. It is not unusual to pick them up on the 911 call and then transfer them out later the same day. Then in a week or two, you see them downtown. They remember you and you remember them. I can't tell you how many times a patient I transported 6 months ago will seek me out in a store to tell me their story and thank me for the care I provided them even if it was just sitting and visiting with them en route to the city.

In the city you don't have many tractor roll overs. In the country you don't have many riots. But with both you still have shootings, stabbings, MVA's, cardiac, etc.

Just depends where you live, who you work for, and your response area(s)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.