MMA Children Beat Hell Out of Each Other - Sport or Not?

spenac

Sport or child abuse?  

9 members have voted

1. 1.

• Sport
    • Child abuse
    • depends on coaches and refs

Im at a loss for words on this. I was expecting older children than what the videos showed.

letmesleep, I agreee with you in some ways... but this is much different from football, basketball and even wrestling for that matter. First off, the wrestling we see in school isnt like WWF and its not UFC either. Around here t-ball and little leauge parents dont even keep score (the coaches may get competative with one another but thats all I usually see). Football, they dont even play actual games untill they are eligable or old enough to make a certain class, untill then its just practice practice practice.

As far as Karate and Martial Arts... this may have forms in it, but I dont see much honor or respect. Just a bunch of kids beating eachother for the win.

I live in a very big school and childrens sports community. The parents are all about the kids and the kids are almost all about school spirit. Ive also worked many a sporting event and when it comes to competition and atitude Id put this right up there with hunter style horse shows and motocross racing. All to often I get the vibe of parent->child surreptitious life styles when at such events, a far cry from pee wee football and little league.

Some sports are fun and competative... where as some are extremley competative and nothing less. Would a kid have fun tearing around on a dirtbike at the age of 8? Hell yea they would. But just how much can you get a kid that age to focus on winning rather than fun? Its not like baseball where you buy a uniform and some equipment and thats that even if they lose... any of you who have ever tried to cut an injured racer or horse riders gear know what Im talking about. These types of sports are an investment, so lollygagging and having fun then losing is a bad thing.

I guess what Im trying to say is you put a young child into an extremeley competative sport then (in my humble opinion) they either are very smart and know what they are getting into, or the parent is just trying to show off. Need I mention children like Jean Bennet Ramsey? Beauty Padgents may not (or may) be a sport... but the scenario is the same.

Back to the point. Im kind of disghusted to see this... maybe 16 and older but these kids... it just seems so wrong.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Christopher.Collins, and I do agree that the coaches should be the ones in control of the sporting event and their teams, not the parents. My point about the parents is for them to be involved, informed, responsible for their child. Parents these days do waaaay to much pulling up to the doors and dropping off with a "see ya in an hour". The children in these activities need parents to be informed about the "sport", involved with their kids training (as far as making sure they get proper training both body and mind), and being responsible enough to say the dreaded "N" word......NO! I don't disagree with the fact that there is danger, but there is no more danger than in any other sport being played by our children today. Please let me expand!

In every sport we have practice (training), we have precautions (helmets/ gloves/ padding/ ect), we have rules (run the bases counter clockwise/ stop at a tap out). I'm not trying to tell you that you or anyone else is wrong for disagreeing with this sport, but as long as the child and the parent work together the way they should....."communication", why is it wrong? The example of Beauty Pageants may be a little over the top for me, but I know what your trying to say, kids should want to do the sport they get involved in, at any age. MMA does look very violent, but it is a mixture of martial arts, and there is tons of training with this sport. These children are taught many lessons that they will carry through their lives, including honor and respect.

My feeling about this subject is simple, let them continue without interruption and evolve as any other sport out there has done. If some stuffed shirt came down to watch your childs Tee-ball game, and saw one of them get hit in the face with the ball, would you be upset if he tried to regulate the game so that a "softer" ball would have to be used? We may not agree with it, but does that give anyone the right to step in and control it from the outside? Not in this great nation!!!!!!

letmesleep, I hope you didnt take my entire reply as a bash against you because thats not what I intended. Sorry if it seemed that way.

I dont think the parents shouldnt have any responsability at all... I just dont get these parents that drill their kids as if its life or death to win or lose (respectivley). To me thoes are the ones making their kids compete. But yes the coaches are ultimatley responsible as well as any reffs... Ive seen one of the best HS football games (a team my cuz plays for) completley blown and lost because of biassed reffereeing.

I've been training MMA for almost 3 years with an emphasis on wrestling/jiujitsu, because showing up to work with black eyes/fat lips isn't cool.

Any GOOD gym/coach really drives home the point that it's a sport with a place and time, and beating people up for fun is a big no-no. Especially with many chokes, it would be very easy to kill someone. Submissions can cripple people. Most jiujitsu guys don't have that cocky/arrogant attitude that boxers do... It's a self-defense technique for sure when it needs to be used as such. A much more effective self defense technique than any traditional martial arts.

When taught to children in the proper setting by the right people, I think it's great. I've seen a couple 10 year olds that have amazing skill....but they also are taught to respect it. The growing popularity of MMA in the U.S., coupled with the American mindset of taking everything to an extreme and the 'I'm-better-than-you' way of thinking, will cause problems. There are many countries around the world that have children training dangerous fighting styles and nothing bad comes of it. Americans are just like that..

It will all blow over in a couple years. It's just the latest fad. Most guys go to a gym and drop-out soon after because they realize real quick that it's a real sport, and it's not easy being a fighter. Not everyone is cut out to handle the pain and injuries involved, not just in competing, but in training as well.

edit:

I should add that I've had knee surgery due to a torn meniscus from training. I recently stopped going though in anticipation of medic school. I'm not letting anything in my control get in the way of me getting my P-card.

I also stopped training while in medic school. I tore my meniscus during my ride time. I'm back in training now. It feels good. I really missed it. A lot of MMA guys have contempt for traditional martial arts like shotokan or TKD. For my money, its all about the attitudes in the dojo, dojang, gym and the intent of the instructors and coaches. I would rather have a great chang han sabunim than a mediocre brazillian ground and pounder anytime. Good luck with paramedic school and get back to training after you get your card.

Prior to my torn meniscus from a job related injury, I mentioned something to my girlfriend's sensei at her shotokan dojo. I told him I practice the oldest school of self defense known:

Feets, don't fail me now!

He laughed, and told me if it worked for me, keep on keeping on!

Actually, years ago, there was a chain of Karate schools, who actually made the Guinness book of records, for demolishing a bungalow house with only their bodies, and the shortest time to do so.

One of their Black Belts, of my age, loved showing off his skills to his friends, by thrashing me! I was not a willing participant!

Then, some of that group's Black Belts ended up in sanctioned competition, and they got beaten on points by persons with at least 2 levels lower belts.

Finally, one day, when new classes were supposed to start across New York City, the students showed up, but nobody opened the dojo doors. The chain, owners, trainers, and the guy the dojos had been named for, had taken the money and ran! This was 1965 or so, and the dojo people, and the money, are still missing.

Back to my girlfriend's dojo. The lead sensei has the classes repeat that they will never use what they are taught in anger, and outside of the dojo only in self defense. They are not to use the skills in class unless a sensei or assistant sensei is watching or leading.