Whats with shorts and flip flops on scene?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree. Part of being taken seriously as a 'professional' is to LOOK like one. How many bank managers do you see in shorts and polo shirts, even on 'casual Friday'? Hell, most places that do allow 'casual dress' on occasion will not tolerate shorts (even if they're well pressed), so why as a professional health care provider, should we allow such attire to permeate our ranks?

The only professions I've seen that includes shorts as part of their uniform is mailmen and bicycle cops....

You only took part of my quote there. Shorts show reduction in heat stress for firefighters. Heat stress is a major contributor to cardiovascular related injuries, which is the number one non traumatic LODD killer of Firemen.

I could honestly care less what a business man, or bank manager wears to work.

We are not a white collar profession, nor are we totally blue collar either. Our job demands mental and physical toughness.

A bank manager does not have to carry 50 lbs of equipment up to see their "customer", then carry their "customer" down a flight of stairs, load them on a cot, and lift them into an ambulance.

Nor do they even work outdoors, in sweltering heat.

We have to draw the line somewhere between looking professional, and personal comfort.

Does that mean that when you are doing PR, transport, or in an office all day that you get to wear shorts and a polo?

No.

But the crews who are on the street sweating their butts off in the long pants, undershirt and button up certainly deserve some relief from the heat.

We have to draw the line somewhere between looking professional, and personal comfort.

Flash, I agree with your assesment about 95% because there are deffinatley times when cover on the legs may not be nessecarry... and there is a think called bunker gear and extrication suits if cover is needed. But personal comfort and personal safety are two different things.... and while a line may be drawn between it and looking proffesional.... there is no line to be drawn with safety.

Flash, I agree with your assesment about 95% because there are deffinatley times when cover on the legs may not be nessecarry... and there is a think called bunker gear and extrication suits if cover is needed. But personal comfort and personal safety are two different things.... and while a line may be drawn between it and looking proffesional.... there is no line to be drawn with safety.

Yes, that is something that I should have included in there.

For MVCs, or any type of rescue/extrication, full PPE should be worn, regardless if you were already wearing long pants or not.

I agree about not wearing shorts. I for one do not want blood or vomit on my bare legs. You cannot predict when a pt will vomit on you or which one will be bleeding when you get to them.

Polo shirts I agree with. I am one that hates wearing class B shirts. I don't think it looks professional and makes you look to much like LEO.

:?: :?: :?: Are you telling me that everything I read online isnt true :?: :?:

Of course it is.... in fact, it's even suitable to be quoted in a newspaper article, as we've already learned in another thread. :)

There have been multiple heat stress studies done proving that shorts decrease the amount of stress that Firefighters encounter, especially during summer months.

In the winter, yes, I can see class B uniforms, but in the summer, or anytime the heat goes above 85 , polo shirts and shorts are THE way to go.

I can count the number of days above 85 degrees in Cleveland in a given year using the fingers of both hands. That said, I certainly understand where you are coming from - as can the t-shirt I was wearing under my uniform Friday night that stood up and walked itself to the washing machine when I got home. :)

Just my preface before my remarks. I for one have never worked a volly department. That being said How long does it take to bunker out for an mvc? I can tell you that NFPA says it should not take more than a minute. Even as a paid memebr of my depratment on my days off there is a spare uniform tucked in the back of my car. Why is it so hard to not have appropriate PPE with you at all times if you are commited to your department? I understand there are circumstances where you will not be ready to respond, i.e. the car accident in front of you on your way to dinner etc. But if you don't have your gear with you take that call off? does your chief or you for that matter honestly expect to make every call? If that's the case go somewhere and get paid to do it. just my 2 cents

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.