Whats with shorts and flip flops on scene?

Let me first state that I am a volunteer Firefighter/EMT as well as paid and that this is not intended to bash anyone.

I really do not understand the whole wearing shorts and flip flops to a call thing. Yes we are volunteers, our protocols and standards in some cases are lower than most paid services. Particularly due to the low in recruitment in some places. Furthermore we do not all have duty shifts nor should we have to walk around town in uniform all the time... but again, whats with shorts and flip flops on calls?

I see it all the time in photos, videos... etc and most of those times that is not the point of the photo or video. And yes, Ive seen it in person at severe trauma's where blood loss is almost phenomenal. I was watching a training video for a previous job on vehicle safety... during this video several photos of an MVA we shown and a barefoot lifeguard was walking through broken glass and fluids from the car. It freaked me out. I just don't get it.

BSI and Scene Safety? Or, perhaps I should go out on a limb and be a bit obnoxious to say common sense? Now, I do understand that getting grants are not the easiest thing in the world... and I by no means think we should stop dressing comfortably in the possibility that we may have to pull an old lady out of a car that crashes in front of us. Hell, I sweat profusely at times so when off duty I'm always in shorts and a t-shirt.

There are many ways to combat this though: if you have turnout/extrication gear then use it... even if its the middle of summer and your only responding to a sick call (remember we don't always get what we are dispatched). It is not just just good for fighting fire and cutting cars and at the very least it looks professional. Keep them in your POV if permitted. If you work strictly EMS and your department can not afford to buy extrication suits and you don't want to front the money yourself, then go to wal-mart and buy a cheap set of hospital scrubs... it may look tacky but its your health, and your life. Besides... (and Ive seen this done :twisted: ) it looks a hell of a lot better than walking into a sick elderly persons house wearing a t-shirt that says "Boobies make me smile."

Finally if I may say so... buy a $275 Whelen Dual LED Talon or a $300 extrication suit? At the very least a pair of blood borne resistant pants and boots (side zipper for quick and easy donning). In my humble opinion, Ill put my personal safety before a light that merely suggests the person should pull over. Besides, a $60 strobe or halogen light is just as well. Oh and you can also get a box of surgical shoe booties pretty cheap too...

Stay safe brothers and sisters... and please think before you act. As the saying goes, the life you save may be your own. Something like that lol.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What ever happened to scene safety? You aren't safe if you are running around a car crash with flip-flops on! Remember an injured responder is still injured.

And Ive seen it done too!!! Ive seen a motor vehicle vs pedestrian, with significant blood loss... and of course what were some of the responders wearing? Shorts and flip flops! First off if I was IC they wouldnt be on my scene... but at the very least (if by some freaking stupid reason I had no choice) I would have assigned them to the driver of the car who was having a panic attack post collision.

I understand we shouldnt have to have gear with us 24/7/365 and that we all just want to help... but if one is not equipped to do so then thats it... period! There should be no questions asked. One of my previous volly departments was squared away. We had station uniforms, if we were there doing something then we were to be in uniform... if we were on duty we were to be in uniform. This may not be possible or convinent for all departments... but its good practice.

I have seen the same thing, and on occassion, been "guilty" of said bad practice. The one thing that I will say about it is this; when myself or another responder would come across the accident scene on our way to the station, we would stop to see if there was anything we could do to help such as hold a manual c-spine or try to slow or stop that life threatening bleeding.

Now of course this was when I was a volunteer. The one thing that happened 99.99% of the time was that if someone was not dressed as they should be, they would back up and get out of the area of immediate danger/unsafe situation while those who responded with the rigs could do the job in the prescribed manner.

A practice that should be encouraged or engaged in more times than not? Of course not, but a scenario that does play out in the realistic world we live in. Would I needlessly place myself in grave danger with out proper PPE? No. The idea simply being that if I can help one injured person prevent a crippling spinal cord injury or slow some terrible bleeding while the rest of the folks show up, then I will procede with extreme caution, and let the properly attired individuals tend to the patient when they arrive.

I do agree with everyone when we say that once the responders show up, all personnel that are not properly geared up need to step back.

:shock:

Get your self a good pair of overalls and good set of boots, takes 2 seconds to get dressed up.

That's exactly what I was going to say. If I had someone on the scene dressed like that I'd tell them step back. Later it would be discussed in length, and not in a good way. There are no excuses. If you don't have overalls and at foot attire, then don't bother showing up.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.