Your Very First Call

Tech217

I'm curious to hear stories about your very first call as an EMS worker! I have my very first shift as an EMT Friday night (that's right, I'm that new) and the best part about the anticipation is wondering what my very first call will be.

Tell me your stories, please!

your first call grasshopper will be a bus into a river with 45 90 year old patients and then you will have a plane crash right on top of the bus and then a train will de-rail landing on the bus which is now on fire.

Almost certainly your first call, depending on the time of your shift, will be smelly and intoxicated...

Expect lots of respiratory calls, lots of ETOH, probably a few elderly falls...again, depending on your population and shift time...

On the flip side, my good friend from medic school ran a SIDS baby on his first call....

Hard to say really...just run through your ABCs in your head over and over so that no matter what it is you'll be ready to board/collar and/or bag and you'll be fine.

Good luck!

Dwayne

I'll always remember my first call. I was working at Canobie Lake Park as an EMT and on my first day, first few minutes, we got a call for a possible broken leg on one of the brand new rides. We rushed down there, me right in front because I was kickin on adrenaline, and met up with the patient in EXTREME pain, or so the patient would have us believe. It wasn't gruesome, no blood or anything, but it was a perfect use of our splinting and boarding skills. It was nice there, because the calls came in gradually, starting simple and getting more complex, which I feel really eased me into the profession, rather than the trial by fire a lot of people get, which can scare them away.

Either way, good luck in the field, stay safe, and welcome to the profession. Treat it well and do all you can to advance in it.

On that bus, plane and train crash...You forgot the assorted nasty chemical tank cars that split open on the impact, and are now mixing both unknown liquids and vapors around the scene. Especially when one of the other rescuers steps in it, and dissolves so fast, he can only scream once.

Oh, let's not forget the meteor now falling on the scene...

I watched too many science fiction movies when I was a kid (and still do!)

I hope you realize I am joking with my additions to the scenario. It is one that, when presented to a London Metropolitan Police "Bobby", said his course of action would be to remove the shirt and jacket of his uniform, that he might blend into the crowd to "see what the bloody hell would happen next!"

Hell...any whiner can take Ruff's call....

You forgot to mention that the the old folks on the bus were coming from the hemophiliac convention on their way to their over due dialysis treatments....When the EMF field caused by the crash reset all of their pacemakers....

Now that's a call for a real man....(Ok...or maybe even a woman...)

Dwayne

Note: Tech, no disrespect meant to your thread. Sometimes we just get a little stupid...but have faith! It will come back to your topic. I truly can't remember my first call, or I would have posted it. If you want, and this thread continues to go sideways, I'll post some of the more interesting calls from when I was very, very new. Good topic!

technically my 1st call was a dialysis run......... but emergency call, cannot remember, lost too many brain cells since then..... :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.