Terrible relazation on a sad sad day!

mshow00

More facts: it was a basic truck(our comp only runs basic units in that area due to cost), going 65 + mph going down an interstate, unknown car passing the ambulance opens fire... sprays the divers side with live rounds...

DwayneEMTP

If 'almost all of the shots were in the patient care area' then how was the patient or medic not hit? But the basic, in the cab, hit twice?

thats why I said almost all rounds

DwayneEMTP

And besides, Dust would tell you that as the patient was already being cared for from the original call, the basic should have simply been shoved out of the cab and left to the next ambulance to be dispatched.

I NEVER want to be your partner. The EMT driving took two rounds one in the chest on the interstate and you want to "simply been shoved out of the cab and left to the next ambulance to be dispatched" while driving at high way speeds? (I know thats not what you meant, but still the way it sounds)

The EMT in the back jumped up front and finished the very short ride(about 3 minutes) to the hospital.

I NEVER want to be your partner. The EMT driving took two rounds one in the chest on the interstate and you want to "simply been shoved out of the cab and left to the next ambulance to be dispatched" while driving at high way speeds? (I know thats not what you meant, but still the way it sounds)

Of course not! I've have thrown out an IV setup. And a BVM in case be became apneic while waiting for the next truck, I'm not completely heartless!*

The Dust comment was an attempt at humor linked to another discussion that I guess not everyone was privy to.

No offense meant to your injured neighbor and coworker(?). My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family for strength and a quick recovery.

Dwayne

*(See...I also think that's funny because starting an IV is probably outside of his scope of practice and can't make use of the BVM if he's apneic! Get it?)

I do now, sorry I missed it the first time...

No need. I'm not really very funny on a good day, attempting to do so here was not in the best taste.

I'm afraid, that as it's been a few days since the original post, that I'd forgotten that this is kind of close to home for you. I've been involved in another discussion on JEMS about the 'hero' medics stopping for an accident with a seizing baby on board. Dust had some strong opinions about not stopping when the child needed care, to let the new patient be taken care of by the next ambulance. That was my reference to leaving the basic, but I'd lost sight of the fact that others were not still involved in that discussion, allowing them to appreciate the reference.

We all keep each other honest, no apologies necessary for that.

Dwayne

this whole situation just furthers my opinion that, contrary to some beleifs, EMS is equally as dangerous of a job. I'm sure that you all agree with me on that one. It's just that I hear it all the time about fire and police being in harms way all the time, never a mention of EMS. Not to take away from the CONSTANT danger that fire and P.D. are exposed to, I just think more awareness is needed on our end.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.