Looking for opinions on Public Access AED's

I am researching different brands and models of AED's for public access use. They are to be installed in several locations in my community - the seniors centre, the pool, the arena, and the community hall.

I am familiar with the Medtronic CR+ and LP500, and the Philips Heartstart OnSite and FR2+.

Has anyone else used these models? Are there any Zoll or Cardiac Science models that you would recommend, or another brand?

Of the models you are familiar with, what do you like? What don't you like?

Thanks for your input.

philips heartstart works well in our area, little to no problems noticed yet with them.

Philips has always been the way to go, with the only drawback being that the pads are not pre-attached. But the way the device is set up, it's not a significant drawback, and does not really hamper lay use, as the voice and text prompts are extremely clear.

Lifepak is the worst possible choice. If it weren't for their household name gleaned from the EMS market, they would have gone bankrupt in the AED market. For public access, Lifepak is an even more horrible choice than for EMS. The product is not intuitive for lay use. The product gets recalled every year. The company is unstable. I'd avoid them like the plague.

Zoll, meh... apparently they forgot the KISS principle when designing that thing. Lay persons are going to be too confused to use it correctly. Controls are not intuitive. Voice prompts are a computerised voice that is muffled and difficult to understand. The only positive thing I have to say about the Zoll AED is that it utilises a variable BiPhasic energy algorithm.

I have reviewed the Cardiac Science AED and actually was impressed. They seem to have taken most of their design inspiration from Philips, which is a good thing. Good clear voice and text prompts. Intuitive controls. Pre-attached pads. Not crazy about the escalating energy scheme, as compared to the Philips or Zoll variable impedance algorithms, but it is not yet clear if either offers a consistent advantage. At least it is BiPhasic, which is good.

The Philips and the Cardiac Science are the only AEDs I would even consider for PAD. Zoll, I would consider for well-trained, high volume professional rescuers only. I wouldn't jump start my car with a Lifepak.

We are currently doing the assessments for the SAVER program (DHS sponsored looking at First Responders...the major makes are represented)

It has the tech notes associated....and the user results are forthcoming.

You can view the results at https://www.dhs-saver.info/Default.aspx under the medical matrix. Could be helpful in making a decision.

The FDNY is using the FR2, which seems to have a good simple operation, especially for lay persons, who will be upset due to the situation, and not good at taking orders.

Just remember, There is no such thing as "Idiot Proof", as they keep improving the idiots!

I purchased the Defibtech Lifeline AED for my full time work (high tech) and taught CPR/AED classes with it (you can convert it to a trainer with a memory card and a training battery). No one had issues learning how to use it and it was easily upgraded to the new AHA guidelines. It uses a 9V battery to monitor the main battery and flashes a green LED if all is well. This is easily checked when I walk by the AED cabinet in the morning. No complaints yet.

• 4 months later...

With the Heartstart FR2+ there is the 3 lead attachment module that slips into where the pads would go, yes I know this is for a public access aed setup, but imagine having the capability if somone of higher medical training saw something on scene, ie an MI or anything and if there was an AED, with the ability for 3 lead if possible, would be better than nothing.

Its just a thought, please don't go hating lol.

Scotty

That's auctually a very good point Scotty. In Guidelines 2005, the American Heart Association made it a point of recommending changes to the next generation of AEDs because the current analysis to shock times of some AEDs could be as long as 30 or 40 seconds while those using a manual monitor/defibrillator were much, much lower.

I'd definately look at an AED which also includes a manual mode over-ride, such as the Zoll AED Pro or Phillips Heartstart FR2+ which would allow a trained rescuer to use it (argubly) more efficently than in automatic mode.

I am researching different brands and models of AED's for public access use. They are to be installed in several locations in my community - the seniors centre, the pool, the arena, and the community hall.

I am familiar with the Medtronic CR+ and LP500, and the Philips Heartstart OnSite and FR2+.

Has anyone else used these models? Are there any Zoll or Cardiac Science models that you would recommend, or another brand?

Of the models you are familiar with, what do you like? What don't you like?

Thanks for your input.

Annie: Contact Paramedic B. Goulet in Edmonton ERD she was involved in the PAD study, tell her I sent you.

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/351/7/637

Just me but I hate flash boxes ... I am the "elective" kinda welder ....

cheers

Look at the Zoll AEDplus AED's They have a nice set up with the cover being the head support and they have a 4 year shelf life on the pads and 2 year on the batteries. The batteries they use are small lithium Duracell #123 electronics batteries that can be purchased anywhere. [ wallmart, staples, home depot, unlike all the others which require that you buy a proprietary battery from them. 10 batteries for the Zoll are around $45.00 a replacement for other manufacturers can range from 85.00 to 130.00 each time you replace it. Ongoing maintenance is always something to look at and long term factory support is mandatory.

I recently purchased a Zoll unit with a wall mount cabinet with alarm for $ 1400.00 that was placed at the local Yacht club. This price included adult & pedi pads and the carry case.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.