"WHAT?!?!!!?!", quotes the EMS.....

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On stabbing one night the medic "in charge" :roll: called in that the patient had an evisceration. The doc on the other end asked what kind of evisceration. The medic was like, "you know, an evisceration". I finally spoke up and said to tell him it's an abdominal evisceration with intestine and partial stomach exposed. The medic was like "Ohhh".

• 2 weeks later...

EMDOC wrote: In NYS anyone can pronounce someone, but only a licensed physician can sign the death certificate (yes, there is a difference). It is not uncommon for a PA, or a nurse for that matter to pronounce someone.

]not according to my protocols as a basic i cannot pronounce any one dead.

i can withhold tx with an obvious death ie: decapitation or lividity, and contact med control then call for als for a confirmation by that time its a matter for pd . if i were to pronounce someone dead i would violate my scope of practice

I had a moment one day when I just lost my sense lol. I was calling in report for a transfer from ER to ER and went to tell them the pt was intubated and went, "the patient is uh, uh, forget it, we're breathing for him !" I couldn't think of the word to save my life. Walked into the ER a little red faced, but no harm done. The nurse that took report was laughing at me 'cause she was used to getting nicely put together call ins from me and I had a moment ! All well, it's okay for another day !

EMDOC wrote: In NYS anyone can pronounce someone, but only a licensed physician can sign the death certificate (yes, there is a difference). It is not uncommon for a PA, or a nurse for that matter to pronounce someone.

]not according to my protocols as a basic i cannot pronounce any one dead.

i can withhold tx with an obvious death ie: decapitation or lividity, and contact med control then call for als for a confirmation by that time its a matter for pd . if i were to pronounce someone dead i would violate my scope of practice

1. It's ERdoc.

2. NYS law says that anyone can walk up to a person and say, "Yup, he's dead." A physician or PA has to sign the death certificate. Your protocols are a different story. It basically depends on how much your medical director trusts your ability to do a proper assessment.

Called into the ER one night with a BLS transport from a nursing home. Advised we were transporting BLS with the following vitals:

BP: 134/78 Pulse: 16 regular Respirations 60 regular

ER response: "Could we have those vitals again please?"

My partner couldn't stop laughing...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.