substance abuse in ems

Awolif9:

First up, welcome to our forum.

Next, as mentioned, admitting on an open forum like this is tantamount to professional suicide, for reasons posted by others. Yes, you can be tracked by things you mention that can and will be recognized by someone local to you.

If your EMS agency has such, get into a sponsored program to get yourself off any "recreational pharmaceuticals," or get into one not connected to your agency. Seek help, and get the help.

I would state that most here, if they found out they had a "druggie" for a partner, would ask to change partners. I have. View it as the partner's survival. If their agency is anything like mine (the FDNY EMS), they don't go after one, they always go after the team, and if both halves of a team are going to "go down", it better be for a damn good reason. A "toke-er" most definitely ain't!. Neither is ETOH abuse while on duty.

As an avid viewer of 2 of the 3 CSI shows, 2 of the 3 Law and Order shows, and NCIS, and knowing that some of what they do is actually based on true facts, the "Lab Techies" can determine drug and alcohol usage from a hair sample, months after ingestion, injection, absorption, or inhalation.

On presumption that you are a paid EMS service provider, you do want to keep your job, don't you? If you are an unpaid Volunteer, don't you want to preserve the good name of your agency, and allow their continued community support? "I'm not donating to the local vollie ambulance, as they have druggies on staff, which can be cause for many problems. I recommend you not donate any money to them either, Misters Trump and Rockefeller!" "Thanks for the heads up, Mister Jobs!"(It could happen!)

In 1985, I signed a paper from my department, saying I could be confronted by a Lieutenant, Captain, or Chief, and told to "pee in the cup". They can do this unannounced, and I have no say, but to do it (it is also why I no longer can eat sesame or poppy-seed bagels anymore). If your agency does likewise, pal, you are GONE from the agency, and they usually contact the state Department of Health (DoH), who will pull your ticket (read license or certification). After all the effort and expenditure you've done to get the ticket in the first place, why would you want to mess that up?

Partner, I am going to keep an eye on your postings, and hope to read that you've gone for help, in addition to whatever other subjects you post on. Again, welcome to the forum, from one of the persons posting the most on this site!

Richard B, the EMT.

As a Healthcare worker on both sides of the fence here in the area where I live the precentage is higher for nurses abusing drugs than the EMS community. Ems workers are more prone to drinking than doing drugs.

As for as I go I never did drugs never intend on trying them. You smoking pot don't come to my area unless you want to be unemployed every agency in EMS has a prehire drug screen and random testing through the year.

Give the guy a break. Smoking a bit of weed once in a while in his off time does little damage, and is a far cry from the all the alcoholics that currently work in EMS. You can binge drink every night, but don't dare smoke a bit of weed............... :!:

Give the guy a break. Smoking a bit of weed once in a while in his off time does little damage, and is a far cry from the all the alcoholics that currently work in EMS. You can binge drink every night, but don't dare smoke a bit of weed............... :!:

Yes that is true Helimedic, but since marijuana is illegal in the USA except in some circumstances then he's gonna catch hell for it.

If it was a fully legal drug like alcohol is, then there wouldn't be as big a problem with it.

I'm sorry to point this out but the original poster has not shown back up in more than 12 days since his post.

To me that constitutes someone who wants to stir the shit.

As well as it was his first post so until proven otherwise this topic was just posted either to get him into chat or to stir the pot. Which one who knows but I think it's both.

I'm sorry to point this out but the original poster has not shown back up in more than 12 days since his post.

To me that constitutes someone who wants to stir the shit.

As well as it was his first post so until proven otherwise this topic was just posted either to get him into chat or to stir the pot. Which one who knows but I think it's both.

Surely we didn't scare him off, or he didn't realize that he was going to have negative responses.

I knew about the poppy-seed confounding factor... but sesame seeds? Do elaborate!

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Rumor mill, basically, but I am not taking any chances. I'll be heartbroken if they decide tests go positive after consuming Cinnamon-Raisin bagels (with cream cheese).

I'll only start with the Garlic bagels if Vampire activity is reported in my area (anyone have a current location on Count Vladimir Dracula lately?). To avoid high blood pressure, I am already not doing Salt bagels.

Illegal = NO Tolerance.

The discussion here does not focus on the legality of substances used but the high rate of substance abuse by EMS personnel.

My previous comment regarding alcohol being a much bigger problem still stands, especially when this drug is socially acceptable and this problem is often not addressed.

This is a storm in a tea cup over a little bit of weed..........................

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.