substance abuse in ems

hi! first post...

I've heard from a couple of different sources that the high-stress environment in ems and healthcare in general has led to high (no pun intended) percentages of healthcare workers with substance abuse problems. I was wondering if people would open up about there habits, concerns, colleagues stories.

I myself smoke weed but don't drink.

hi! first post...

I've heard from a couple of different sources that the high-stress environment in ems and healthcare in general has led to high (no pun intended) percentages of healthcare workers with substance abuse problems. I was wondering if people would open up about there habits, concerns, colleagues stories.

I myself smoke weed but don't drink.

:lol: Well, I hope you didn't come here looking for a job now or any time in the future. I think if someone is going to use illegal drugs, they'll find a way to get there regardless of their occupation. A stressful job is one of about a thousand excuses.

What ever you do in your own time is up to you. You come on duty stoned or it compromises your treatment, patient care or affects your job in any way - find a new profession.

Substance abuse in EMS and health care in general is indeed rampant, although I tend to think "in house" stimulant abuse is perhaps one of the most common. Coffee can only keep you going so long during those endless shifts in the hospital as a resident or even an attending or an RN.

While was in paramedic school an RN actually OD'd in the hospital while on duty, as in was given Narcan and revived. No, she didn't keep her job, after she recovered she was led out in cuffs and lost her license.

Lose the weed, NOW. If you are wanting EMS as a career. If you're given just one p!ss test you'd be out the door. I don't know of a system anywhere that they don't have a "No Tolerance" policy.

I've seen guys use "crank", "speed", "chrystal", etc. and all it did was eventually was cause trouble and job loss.

One common problem in any job that requires long or difficult hours is "uppers" to keep going and "downers" to wind down afterward. Not good on anybody's system. It can become a vicious cycle.

One common problem in any job that requires long or difficult hours is "uppers" to keep going and "downers" to wind down afterward. Not good on anybody's system. It can become a vicious cycle.

Unless you're military pilots who are routinely alternated on modafinil (Provigil) for "go pills" and zolpidem (Ambien) for "no go pills". Legal drugs can be so much more fun.

I ODd on Red Bull once. That was pretty cool. I'm thinking of trying acid next. After all, go big or go home, eh?

As for abuse within EMS, there are at least three opposing theories. Theory 1 is that the stress drives people to substance abuse. Theory 2 is that EMS -- with it's base appeal and low educational requirements -- simply attracts weak people in the first place, and those people would be abusers no matter what line of work they chose. Theory 3 is that those who are already abusers choose EMS in hopes of easy access to drugs, and the profession really had no bearing on their abuse. I believe the answer lies somewhere in-between theories 2 and 3.

Personally, I've never need EMS to find drugs. All you have to do is break your leg or neck, and they give you all the Percs you want. That's how I do it.

I ODd on Red Bull once. That was pretty cool. I'm thinking of trying acid next. After all, go big or go home, eh?

Red Bull and those other energy drinks gives me migraines.

I never snorted Coke, but I got some Root Beer up my nose once.

• 1 month later...

I'll tell you this much - you ever show up to my station drunk, stoned, or otherwise impaired, I'll send you home and if there isn't a legal reason for it you'll be without a job. Period, end of story. Yes, we drug test. Without notice. You're positive, you're gone. No working on pain meds - if you're on 'em for a legit reason, you're temp reassigned. We have a good safety record for a reason. I don't want to work with an impaired partner. That's my life and my patient's life at risk. I think you are asking for trouble by 1 admitting on a public forum that you use weed (it's not that hard to find out someone's identity, especially if someone in your area gets on here to see it) and 2 working at any point after using it. That's nothing but stupidity and irresponsible. If you want to do drugs of any sort, please do us all a favor and get off the stuff or find a new profession !

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.