substance abuse in ems

It still surprises me that with what we see any of us could abuse drugs or alcohol. How many times have we seen the results of these bad decisions and yet we wade in blindly none the less. There is to many things to enjoy in this world to cloud any of it.

We still have obese health care workers that also smoke regardless of how many cardiac arrests, frequent flier COPD patients, diabetics or heavy carries from the 3rd floor that are seen.

We still have obese health care workers that also smoke regardless of how many cardiac arrests, frequent flier COPD patients, diabetics or heavy carries from the 3rd floor that are seen.

I know ... it's really too bad. But hey, at least those people know what their future is, whereas the rest of us have to lead a relatively healthy life not knowing how we'll go.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I think if those ski patrollers you know actually had any good sense, they wouldn't be using illicit drugs in the first place.

Alcoholism isn't encouraged. Liquor however is a LEGAL substance; that's why its use might be TOLERATED more so than that of the ganja/crack/meth or whatever your snow bunny friends are using.

When it comes to showing up for work while under the influence of ANYTHING, there is and should be a zero toleranace everywhere. It is not only your partner's life and medical license on the line, it is yours. Most of us I would assume wouldn't drink anything if we got less than 8 hours of rest prior to the start of our next shift. That is standard around here, some places might even observe a longer period of "dryness" before starting work. And most of us wouldn't be dumb enough to actually show up for work still reeking like the night before.

Worst case scenario: Your partner shows up for their shift with you, they're hungover++++/unrested from snorting coke/hazy from smoking weed half the night. You see this and don't say anything because it's your partner and you don't want to "upset the balance". They're driving with you and let's say a term pregnant women in the back. You're near the hospital and your partner has an accident and crashes the truck. Somehow they manage to walk away, yet mom loses the baby and mmmmmm let's say bleeds out, the car your partner hit contained an elderly couple and kills one of them, the other is permanently brain damaged and has "no life" for the rest of their life. You're in traction in hospital with several pins in your femur, looking oh so forward to months of physio and bills building up because you can't work. Sorry kids, no clothes/school supplies/haircuts/proper food for you because mommy/daddy can't move their legs right now; make your own KD for breakfast. No money for anything again this month because the comp claim was AGAIN denied.

Yes I made that up but who's to say it couldn't happen? We all know lives can and do change in the blink of an eye. Could you live with yourself knowing you could have prevented this? Sure, your partner is a retard for showing up for work in that condition. If you knew, could have done something beforehand but didn't, wouldn't you also have to share the blame?

Hm...interesting... but I just have a hard time getting all uppity about someone smoking weed on the side. The situation you bring up illustrates someone who is out of control with their drug use. Its just like someone who drinks to me. If you drink right up until your shift starts, that's no good, you'll be drunk on the job, same thing with weed. I realize the legality issue, but just because its a law doesn't mean its infallible.

Hm...interesting... but I just have a hard time getting all uppity about someone smoking weed on the side. The situation you bring up illustrates someone who is out of control with their drug use. Its just like someone who drinks to me. If you drink right up until your shift starts, that's no good, you'll be drunk on the job, same thing with weed. I realize the legality issue, but just because its a law doesn't mean its infallible.

Doesn't mean it's right to prove it infallible either.

Also, one doesn't have to be out of control with their drug use to incite something otherwise preventable ... could have been the first time in a long time or one excessive night. Point is, when it comes to illegal drugs, even a little bit is too much.

I've seen several people out of control who were drunk and "just hitting the bong". Just like the last drunk/stoned driver I saw who caused a 4 car pileup. Meth heads aren't the only idiots out there.

• Like 3

Doesn't mean it's right to prove it infallible either.

Also, one doesn't have to be out of control with their drug use to incite something otherwise preventable ... could have been the first time in a long time or one excessive night. Point is, when it comes to illegal drugs, even a little bit is too much.

I've seen several people out of control who were drunk and "just hitting the bong". Just like the last drunk/stoned driver I saw who caused a 4 car pileup. Meth heads aren't the only idiots out there.

I agree meth-heads aren't the only idiots out there. I think where we fundamentally disagree is when you say even a little bit is too much. A little bit of weed is much much safer than drinking in my opinion. The drunk dude is swerving all over the road and running reds, while the stoned guy is still waiting for the stop sign to turn green. I'm not saying it's ok in all circumstances, including driving or on the job, but you have yet to convince me that it is wrong at all times and every time. There are A LOT of working professionals who use marijuana in a safe and confidential manner, and whose work does not suffer for it. Again, certain idiots are not confidential or safe with it, and I would not want to work with any of these "dude, bro these tones going off is harshing my mellow, leme hit the bong one more time" types.

I agree that marijuana is much less harmful than alcohol. I disagree that driving after use of either is intelligent, regardless of the choice. The impaired driver is dangerous, no matter the cause of impairment... (texting, sleepiness, alcohol, prescription drugs, pot etc.)

The fundamental issue here is that it is ILLEGAL. Until laws are changed, smoking dope is ILLEGAL. You get fired for getting caught engaging in illegal activities, especially those that have the potential to impair your safe performance at your job. It doesn't matter that you don't do it while you're on the job. Whether or not you think that smoking a little bit of dope recreationally is OK or not, you will still get fired if you get drug screened. Which will probably happen if you are involved in ANY sort of accident while on the job.

If you're going to toke, you better accept the potential for consequences. I agree that societal perceptions of alcohol and marijuana use are skewed, and that alcohol is more socially acceptable to abuse, and that it doesn't make any sense.

Personally, I don't have a problem with a responsible marijuana user, just as I don't have any problems with responsible drinkers. But the bottom line here is the legality of said recreation options. You choose to smoke pot, you choose to put your career on the line.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Personally, I've never need EMS to find drugs. All you have to do is break your leg or neck, and they give you all the Percs you want. That's how I do it.

I have found this method to be very effective to acquire medications :dribble:

Ok seriously: The fact remains that because health care workers (generally speaking) have better access and enough background to know what is the good stuff.

As for THC the US culture (well accept for AK) has been inundated with false advertising that make your babies walk backwards, and reefer madness is a reality .. when there are a number of medicinal properties that are overlooked and beneficial ... now not saying that smoking a fatty while at work is a good idea .. because it does bring out the stoopid factor.

Now that said 3 things I have NEVER heard while working.

1- Hey man, I had a rough day at the office and came home smoked a joint and then ... beat the crap out of my old lady ... <insert a 26 of bourbon for different explanation>

2- I have never responded to a OD Mary Jane.

3- I have never been at a roll over and ejection (when a bag of green was found on scene) and ETOH was NOT involved. The Cheech and Chong thing comes to mind: Hey man that light just turned RED ... no worries man ... We are Parked !

cheers

This issue has started to recently show it's nasty head in my squad. EMS workers are all for getting the piss tests. The fire guys aren't. Guess which side is doing more weed than the other?

Why get high when there are so many other ways of achieving a false sense of smug superiority? That's the way I've looked at it.

We already have a no-tolerance on boarding and manning any piece of apparatus while intoxicated to any degree. There's a specific command in our SOPs that states that if you drink, you turn your pager off and do not come to the department until you've slept it off. This says nothing for the installation party every year, though.

hi! first post...

I've heard from a couple of different sources that the high-stress environment in ems and healthcare in general has led to high (no pun intended) percentages of healthcare workers with substance abuse problems. I was wondering if people would open up about there habits, concerns, colleagues stories.

I myself smoke weed but don't drink.

I've had personal experience with substance abuse in EMS. One of my partners had "back problems", which we all do in some way... however working on 1000mg of hydrocodone while on duty is not cool. No matter how much "control" you think you have over what you're doing... you're still on a substance that will mess with your mojo. Many times working nights he'd wake up from a dead sleep and start driving, thinking we have a call. However... 1. we didn't... and 2. why are you driving if you don't know where you're going? I finally found out he was abusing the pain pills and tried to report to management, but nothing happened. It finally came down to me pulling rank and always driving, which sucked because of minimal patient care, but not going to risk my neck because he is doing his own type of "pain management".

Abuse of any substance, whether they be legal or illegal should never be accepted in public safety. For just that reason, it's not safe for the public. And if you ever EVER get into a wreck while on duty, you'll automatically be tested for illegal substances, and even if you weren't stoned while on duty, it'll still show up in your system. Not only will you most likely lose your job, but you'll look at jail time, malpractice, loss of your license, etc.

Be smart.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.