I need some help with patient assessments

I am an EMT student and went on my first ride out and at the end I was told that I need to work no my patient assessment how can I do that? I know to ask SAMPLE and OPQRST but I just get nervous and either don't do it or everything is out of order. Also should I ask questions and what questions? Is it normal to be nervous? What can I do to relax during the call?

What sort of problems are you having? Are you freezing up, but just still know what to ask? Do you just start thinking about 13987 things when you arrive on scene and can't concentrate? Does your mind just go blank?

Also, how many more ride-alongs do you have (both required and can get if different numbers)? Have you done your ER time yet, if available?

Relax. Listen and watch others. Pay attention in detail on how others do it. Practice with family like other's have said. Have fun.

I am an EMT student and went on my first ride out and at the end I was told that I need to work no my patient assessment how can I do that? I know to ask SAMPLE and OPQRST but I just get nervous and either don't do it or everything is out of order. Also should I ask questions and what questions? Is it normal to be nervous? What can I do to relax during the call?

If, on your first ride out, you handled your assessments well, with focus, intelligence and confidence, then you're a medic pretending to be a basic student.

Assessment confidence comes with education, training, and practice, practice, practice.

You won't really grasp the essence of assessment until you've had enough education and patient contact to know which "paths" you're trying to follow with your questions...there's no shame on you...it takes time and you haven't had the time yet.

The real question is...will you do what it takes to be good at assessment? Will you learn what's needed to be able to focus your assessments? To build a differential with the information you gain?

You are at a true fork in the road now. Most will choose to parrot nonsense...and will look skilled to you because they don't seem to faulter when assessing. They are confident, or at least appear so, because they rarely need to think. Others will continue to look clumsy because they need a moment to think between each question, to digest the last answer so as to ask the next 'appropriate' question. This is the hard route, and most won't choose it...but it's the right one.

You are right where you're supposed to be. Now you simply need to decided, do you want to look good? Or be good? If you want to be good, then get right with the idea that sometimes you need to think, to pause, even if you think it makes you look goofy, to be sure that you're doing the smart thing...not simply the 'next' thing. Know what I mean?

Good luck to you.

Dwayne

How did your school teach you to do assessments? What did they tell you about this? What format did they use to teach it? Where you tested on it?

I know my school was pretty crappy in that sense and I had to re-learn most of it in the field watching medics or through EMTCity

When it comes to pt assessment I have found that you really got to have your own groove. Yes the SAMPLE and OPQRST are important and in the beginning do it that way so you don't forget anything. Eventually you will find your own groove. When I first started I would write those letters on a piece of paper like a check list and go through them. I agree with everyone PRACTICE, PRACTICE, and PRACTICE.

What sort of problems are you having? Are you freezing up, but just still know what to ask? Do you just start thinking about 13987 things when you arrive on scene and can't concentrate? Does your mind just go blank?

Also, how many more ride-alongs do you have (both required and can get if different numbers)? Have you done your ER time yet, if available?

I think about 13988 things actually.. :lol:

Be cool and calm, you will be fine. We all get nervous at times, but keep your head straight and you will be ok./