EMS Research

I noticed that only those of a higher medical authority responded, don't sit there and act like you are not overworked, or say that it would not benefit the patients, maybe "GIVE" was not the best choice of words but you got the point. Treat it just like Epi-Pens, I agree train, test then certify. Believe me we EMT-B's dont want to take your job!!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed that only those of a higher medical authority responded, don't sit there and act like you are not overworked...

Sorry, man, but I'm not going to lie to save your little lame theory. I am not overworked. I got into EMS to practise, not to sit in recliner chairs at the firehouse. When I am at work, I am perfectly happy to work. If you have a lesser commitment to the profession than that, then get out.

... [don't] say that it would not benefit the patients...

Again, I am not going to lie for you. It would not benefit our patients to deny them professional medical care by instead instituting half-ass measures of dangerous and usually unnecessary drug therapies by persons who have no medical education. Don't kid yourself. The only benefit of that is to your ego.

...maybe "GIVE" was not the best choice of words but you got the point.

Yes, we got the point. Several of them, actually. Point 1: You don't know anything about EMS. Point 2: You don't know anything about medicine. Point 3: You're not committed to professionalism or caring for people. Point 4: You are only interested in what cool things the job can "give" you, not the things that the job asks of you. You're too busy for that. Perhaps others got some other "points" that I forgot.

Treat it just like Epi-Pens, I agree train, test then certify.

That may be how your lame Hooterville system treats the practice of medicine, but I can assure you that is not how I do things, nor how things should be done. I'm not a trainer. I'm an educator. And you aren't ready for my education until you have at least a year of college prerequisites successfully behind you. And without that education, you are not qualified -- no matter how smart you think you are -- to be sticking anything into anybody.

Believe me we EMT-B's dont want to take your job!!

Not that you ever could. That would take a serious commitment, which you do not have. You just want a cool hobby. Sorry, not interested. We don't need you. Neither does your community. In fact, you are the reason that your community doesn't have the paramedics they need. Congratulations. You're a hero.

Apparently you work within the perfect EMS system, So First Educate yourself on how to use spell check! After you complete the prior task, you can take a look at the profession you claim to take so seriously and realize that it is not perfect! I agree to some point that there are providers in the field that should not touch anything on or near a ambulance sharp or otherwise. I don't post my life on here, I am very well educated and have professionally served several communities for nearly a decade. At this time I will point out that other states have very sucessfull EMT-I programs in place. The (I) stands for Intermediate just in case you didn't know. don't be so quick to judge people I know several MD's that ride BLS because they enjoy helping people, Is that not why most of us are in the profession? Thats right I'm a paid professional have been for a long time but you dont see me bashing volleys.

So First Educate yourself on how to use spell check!

Pssst! Over here...it is called the Queen's English or British Spelling. It is perfectly legal and acceptable. PSA over with, we now return you to the debate...

SORRY! But I was never educated in that I was busy learning latin medical terms!

PS I never suggested that a EMT-B should or could push any drugs, but I will stand behind my statements about advanced airways and diagnostics, IT IS TIME!!

I never suggested that a EMT-B should or could push any drugs, but I will stand behind my statements about advanced airways and diagnostics, IT IS TIME!!

When will it be "TIME" to just provide professional paramedics instead of half-arse measures like that? Why is "giving" monkey skills to people with no education a better solution than providing paramedics? Justify that for us, please, because I'm not following the logic.

That's like saying, "I don't have money to make my car payment this month, so 'it's time' to rob a liquor store." Are you not even willing to consider that getting a job would be a more suitable, long term solution?

And why do you need "advanced diagnostics" for conditions that you neither understand, nor have any capability of treating? I know the answer to that. It's so you can say, "See, you need to "give" us drugs to treat the stuff we are diagnosing!" The only thing you need to be diagnosing is ABC compromise. And the only thing you need to be doing about them is BLS and waiting for the medics.

And please, dude, don't insult our intelligence with this nonsense about Latin medical terms. It's a workbook that anybody can complete in just a few days. Not exactly advanced education. Even an EMT-B can do it. You didn't even learn enough to know that Latin should be capitalised.

PS I never suggested that a EMT-B should or could push any drugs, but I will stand behind my statements about advanced airways and diagnostics, IT IS TIME!!

OK lets run with that.

Are we just going to train EMT-B to put stick them in?

Or are we going to educate them on how and when to use them?

Shall thier education include acid - base balance of the respiratory system? I mean after all if they are tubing they better have access to ETCo2. Not to mention the education to understand the numbers. Believe me that is difficult $hit to understand, I don't know how long we spent on the PH of the human ody but I am pretty sure it was a few months!

What about all the anatomy involved with the resiratory system?

So my question to you is how long of a "training course" would it be for Combitubes alone?

The (I) stands for Intermediate just in case you didn't know.

Actually, it really depends on where you are. Legally speaking, I was an EMT-I when I was working in California.

What about all the anatomy involved with the resiratory system?

Well, to be fair, there's another forum where paramedics and paramedic students keep trying to say that Albuterol increases lung capacity in a discussion on CHF. This was after both Vent and Rid posted about how Albuterol doesn't work that way.

Dust, maybe you should add histology to your list of pre-reqs for medic school.