EMS Research

Are you meaning the Powerpoint presentation, that's all I can find. (Although I've only had one cup of coffee so far!!

Yuppers mate, a good start, tonnes of stuff out their in google land, my second pot of coffee is on, so come on over ... :lol:

late entry : I am looking for a stroke protocol right now after last post or perhaps a little a stronger for my coffee, RUM comes to mind ! sheesh.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No one ever said anything about IV D50 it is clearly beyond even some veterans in this field, This post was about the EMT-B using a glucometer on a altered known diabetic prior to admin of oral glucose which we already do.

Have you translated the latin phrase yet ? It appears incertus, ambiguus :roll:

cheers

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HAHAHA, Thanks for the invite.

I would love to see a study on Paramedics vs EMT's. I mean a real scientific study to shut up all these old school wankers (that's right I said wankers), that say stupid $hit like "ALS wastes too much time on scene" and A good BLS crew can be just as effective or better than an ALS crew".

I hear that crap way too often and it makes my BP skyrocket.

HAHAHA, Thanks for the invite.

I would love to see a study on Paramedics vs EMT's. I mean a real scientific study to shut up all these old school wankers (that's right I said wankers), that say stupid $hit like "ALS wastes too much time on scene" and A good BLS crew can be just as effective or better than an ALS crew".

I hear that crap way too often and it makes my BP skyrocket.

Thank you well said!

No one ever said anything about IV D50 it is clearly beyond even some veterans in this field, This post was about the EMT-B using a glucometer on a altered known diabetic prior to admin of oral glucose which we already do.

You mean you can not check level of glucose? Here even our ECA's ( First responders) do that. All it does is provide hospital a baseline to work with. I disagree with giving basics IV and D-50 etc. But another so simple a monkey can do it item to help advanced care providers to compare, no problem.

You mean you can not check level of glucose? Here even our ECA's ( First responders) do that. All it does is provide hospital a baseline to work with. I disagree with giving basics IV and D-50 etc. But another so simple a monkey can do it item to help advanced care providers to compare, no problem.

Thank you! That was my point why can't we do it to provide a baseline prior to TX and it is usefull for other providers to continue the continuity of care. THANK YOU!!!

Thank you! That was my point why can't we do it to provide a baseline prior to TX and it is useful for other providers to continue the continuity of care. THANK YOU!!!

BLS use of glucometers has already been discussed in another thread. Any further discussion of the topic should take place there. This was a good thread and unfortunately it's original intent has likely been lost to all of this.

Back on topic. Could someone explain how exactly the hypertonic saline has an enhanced affect over normal saline. The way it was described to me is that the hypertonic solution draws fluid from the bodies organs into the blood-stream. What is the action that causes this to happen?

"Hypertonic" is a term used to compare two different fluid concentrations. A hypertonic solution has more solutes than another fluid (blood in this case), an isotonic has the same concentration of solutes, and a hypotonic solution has less solutes.

Two solutions separated by a semipermeable barrier (plasma membranes, for example) attempt to reach the same concentration by moving particles that can pass through the membrane to equilibrium and by moving liquid (e.g. water) [osmosis] from the hypotonic solution to the hypertonic solution. In terms of fluid movement, pressure also plays a role in the solutions reaching an equilibrium point. Thus, adding hypertonic solutions to blood will increase the concentration of blood (amount of solutes/volume) which will cause fluid to move from the interstitial space (space between cells in the body that isn't in a vessel (e.g. blood vessels or lymph vessels) into the capillaries.

To Tniuqs - Thanks for finding my coffee. Seems like a long road trip to get it back. :lol:

To BVESBC - 1. Since you seem to be indicating you have knowledge of equipment to lift Ms really Big to the power assisted cot. Please let me know what equipment we should use to lift MS Really Big who fell in an almost prone position between two brick walls with a 28" separation between the walls. After lifting them to a power assisted cot life is great, it is just getting the large person to that piece of equipment that's the problem. 2. Do not slam the people I work with you do not know them nor do you know our lifestyles. 3. Since it is apparent you can not do a Blood sugar check, I deduce your Medical Control is afraid you will stick your finger instead of the patient's

What is the action that causes this to happen?

WOW big question.

It is osmosis. basically it is the movement of fluid from an area of lesser concentration to an area of greater concentration.

Just imagine dropping a tablespoon of salt into a glass of water. Over time the salt becomes equally dispersed throughout the water (this is your hypertonic saline). Now drop a piece of fruit into that saltwater.

The fruit is hypotonic (less salt), through osmosis the water leaves the fruit to get to the higher salt concentrated water. Now the solution becomes isotonic (or equal salt concentration throughout the water.

Now apply that to the human body.

Our tissue is filled with low sodium water. If we fill our vascular system with hypertonic saline (more salt), osmosis will draw the fluid from the tissues into the vascular system in an attempt to become isotonic.

Confusing hey?