EMS Research

Has anyone ever headed up/participated in any EMS-based field research? I see so much research in medicine from the AMA, AOA, etc. and I see none from EMS, and I would like to change that...

Any ideas for topics, methods, etc? If any of you have any, please either reply or PM me.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is actually a research forum on this site. I work full time in research on a prehospital cardiac arrest study (ROC PRIMED) that is being run at sites across North America.

Prehospital research is difficult. Times are so important yet so difficult to obtain accurately with so many different sources (e.g. CAD, defib, watch). There is also the issue of just trying to get the medics to participate if it is an interventional study and not required by their medical directives.

PM me if you want to discuss more.

God, how I love seeing people with a serious interest in this kind of thing! And to see it in two people who are young and brand new to the field is very exciting. I would love to think this signals the coming of a new breed of provider entering our profession. These are truly our best hope for future professional leadership.

Thumbs up to both of you!

Submit it to 60 Minutes or something.

There is actually a research forum on this site. I work full time in research on a prehospital cardiac arrest study (ROC PRIMED) that is being run at sites across North America.

Prehospital research is difficult. Times are so important yet so difficult to obtain accurately with so many different sources (e.g. CAD, defib, watch). There is also the issue of just trying to get the medics to participate if it is an interventional study and not required by their medical directives.

PM me if you want to discuss more.

I think there are 3 Canadian EMS agencies participating in the ROC. I know BC ambulance is. I'm not certain but as far as I know the other two are Toronto EMS and Ottawa EMS. There is also another study involving the use of hypertonic saline with and without dextran for hypotensive trauma patients. I love that we're able to participate in these kinds of studies that have such a huge potential impact for our patients.

I think there are 3 Canadian EMS agencies participating in the ROC. I know BC ambulance is. I'm not certain but as far as I know the other two are Toronto EMS and Ottawa EMS. There is also another study involving the use of hypertonic saline with and without dextran for hypotensive trauma patients. I love that we're able to participate in these kinds of studies that have such a huge potential impact for our patients.

There are actually many more than just three agencies participating in PRIMED. Off the top of my head, there are:

Toronto EMS

Toronto Fire

Peel EMS

Most Peel Region fire departments

Durham EMS

Most Durham Region fire departments

Muskoka EMS

In addition, Thames EMS in London, Ontario is participating through the Ottawa site I believe.

ROC HS (hypertonic saline) is also being trialed through a number of different agencies including Orgne (Ontario Air Ambulance).

Rock shoes, do you know if BC ambulance has launched PRIMED yet or is it yet to be implemented?

As far as I know PRIMED has already started in major centres like Vancouver, Kamloops, and Kelowna. I did learn about the process and inclusion criteria as part of my CPR re-cert last month. It isn't being done in my area yet, and I'm not sure if it will be as the study will most likely have enough participants before things make it to my current 800-1000 call a year station. I should see it soon though as I start into my PCP in Burnaby at the end of May.

As far as I know PRIMED has already started in major centres like Vancouver, Kamloops, and Kelowna. I did learn about the process and inclusion criteria as part of my CPR re-cert last month. It isn't being done in my area yet, and I'm not sure if it will be as the study will most likely have enough participants before things make it to my current 800-1000 call a year station. I should see it soon though as I start into my PCP in Burnaby at the end of May.

That is great to hear. What defibs are you guys using?

EMS research is something that is fairly difficult to do because of the nature of the environment. That said, there are several docs in the EMS Section of the American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP) as well as the National Association of EMS Physicians (NAEMSP) that would love to talk to you more about it. ACEP has grants each year for exactly this sort of thing at the state as well as national level, and they can help explain their requirements to you for these. State governments also have grants for this sort of research. Contact ACEP and NAEMSP, and they can point you in the right direction.

'zilla

That is great to hear. What defibs are you guys using?

Right now we are using Lifepack 500's that have been re-programmed to work with our current CPR on BLS cars. All the ALS crews I've seen are using Lifepack 12's. Some BLS cars are starting to get the Lifepack 1000's now.