speed limit??

Steven H

There definately is should be lines drawn. Rigs are bigger and more powerfull. The problem is where to draw the line. Our fire apparatus is governed. The rigs are not. I don't know the top speed, but it will go 80 mph(a demo rig). 10-15 mph I personally feel is acceptable. Opinions will vary. If be with people that they handle rigs fabulously at faster speeds and been with people that drove like crap going under the spped limit. I've seen speed kill in BLS transport. Going back some years a BLS transport company vehicle lost control on the Atlantic City Expressway overturning killing both employees and the patient. Witnesses said that the rig was running at excessive rates of speed. 75-80 mph. That's too much. I too used to work for a transport service many moons ago and I refused to work with someone for I was afraid to drive with him for the rate of speed he drove, would tailgate people and would even high beam them to get them out of his way. It only takes one wrong to completely wash out enomous amounts of right. People today love to focus on the negative. Think, be smart and don't give the generall public any ammunition to fire at you.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my area we have interstate posted at 80mph, so should we run 90mph? At some point we have to realize we are driving big, top heavy bricks that are not designed for raceway speeds. Slow down so you can treat the patient and more importantly get back home safe.

In my area we have interstate posted at 80mph, so should we run 90mph? At some point we have to realize we are driving big, top heavy bricks that are not designed for raceway speeds. Slow down so you can treat the patient and more importantly get back home safe.

You raise a ood point, spenac....just because our vehicles will fly at 100+ miles per hour, there is NO reason we HAVE to go that fast. One mistake on a rain slicked road, snow, or even black ice and its all over but the lawsuits!

There are many factors that come into play, ESPECIALLY while driving an emergency response vehicle; traffic, weather, visibility, road conditions, idiot drivers, pedestrians, just to name a few .....

We as vehicle operators have an obligation to protect the public from our reckless ways, and if you can't bring yourself to do that, do NOT get behind the wheel!

We don't work for NASCAR, we're not given super human reflexes, so turn off the afterburners, and drive like the common folks you are...with common sense and your foot out of the carbeurator!

I can't remember if I had posted this earlier but we had a 75' Ladder that could really move. It had very quick acceleration for a diesel. Very rarely did it go out of town. But for it's weight and the weight of the water in the booster tank we had strict orders on watching the speed. Which was hard to do since it did have such acceleration rate.

I can't remember if I had posted this earlier but we had a 75' Ladder that could really move. It had very quick acceleration for a diesel. Very rarely did it go out of town. But for it's weight and the weight of the water in the booster tank we had strict orders on watching the speed. Which was hard to do since it did have such acceleration rate.

Even with a ' baffled tank' (internal baffles to reduce sloshing), the weight shift of water in tanks has been known to a) snap frames and :lol: 'push' vehicles that are trying to stop. I can see why they would give such strict orders to watch speed.

I don't know how much water your booster tanks held, but figure roughly 8 pounds per gallon in extra weight. That will give you a rough estimate on the 'moving weight' that will shift on fire trucks. It's not just a 'forward/backward' motion either....it can and will shift from side to side (usualy while turning) and roll the vehicle onto its side.....

Our company insurance provider allows 10 over posted speed as conditions allow. The faster the speed, the worse the ride in the back.

Is it my problem the guy hasn't seen a Dr in 20 years and eats 5 Big Macs a week? Don't think so...

No, its not your 'problem' that the patient hasn't been taking care of him/herself, but it IS your responsibility to drive like a sane human being..... not only to your patient but to the general public that you're interacting with!

Speed is not that important. The lights are great to keep you moving, and for getting around traffic. Speed is just dangerous. Want to know when you are going to see me speeding? About 10 minutes before Dunkin' Donuts closes... I need my Kawfee, lol

Even with a ' baffled tank' (internal baffles to reduce sloshing), the weight shift of water in tanks has been known to a) snap frames and B) 'push' vehicles that are trying to stop. I can see why they would give such strict orders to watch speed.

I don't know how much water your booster tanks held, but figure roughly 8 pounds per gallon in extra weight. That will give you a rough estimate on the 'moving weight' that will shift on fire trucks. It's not just a 'forward/backward' motion either....it can and will shift from side to side (usualy while turning) and roll the vehicle onto its side.....

No, its not your 'problem' that the patient hasn't been taking care of him/herself, but it IS your responsibility to drive like a sane human being..... not only to your patient but to the general public that you're interacting with!

Evidently I had repeated that story. I'll say it again, SUX getting old.

FDNY states in it's ops orders, no department vehicle is allowed to go more than 10 miles per hour over the posted speed limit, and none are to go faster than 50 miles per hour. There are no roads within New York City posted at more than 50, however, there are 65 MPH roads in other areas of New York State.

We had two FDNY Spec ambulance's they were governed to 50 MPH, It really sucked going to a job and not even having the option of keeping pace w/ traffic! They didn't last long!

A question for BVESBC:

You said

We had two FDNY Spec ambulance's they were governed to 50 MPH

Please clarify that. Were they the same specs as an FDNY ambulance, or just similar? I ask, because as far as I know, My FDNY Ambulances have never had speed governors, but did have the equivalent of "flight data recorders," back 20 something years ago.

These devices recorded speed, time, and if the lights and sirens were being used, to a paper disc inside the device. Supervisors were supposed to change the paper each day, if I recall correctly.

The newer devices being used today (but not by FDNY, or the FDNY EMS) also have provisions for incident visual recording, similar to the police Dash-Cams, triggered by either a hard braking, or impact detected, will save the 10 seconds before and after such incident in a video formatting.

To the best of my knoledge they were spec by and for FDNY 96-97 very distinctive ac unit mounted to front of box above cab, they were bought by a private service in Northern NJ which is now defunct. As best I can rember we only used them for critical care jobs, they were junk.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.