Patient introductions/icebreakers

renegade334

I do get the occasional senior citizen in the middle of the night who's so apologetic for calling us out, and depending on the situation, saying "that's okay, we had to get up to go to the bathroom anyway", usually is enough to relieve some tension. I make every effort to let the patient know what's going on, from IV starts and cardiac monitors to what's going to happen once they hit the ER; if you don't give a patient any surprises, usually they return the favor and don't give you any...

Great post...

I too try and keep joking to a minimum, though I think the 'getting up to go to the bathroom' joke is perfectly appropriate...

The only time I've used humor consistently is with 5-12 year olds or so...If they're scared I'll say, "So is your husband/wife coming to the hospital with us?" To which they nearly always laugh and reply, "Hey! I'm not married! I'm only eight!"

The only other dialog I've fallen in love with is with cardiac, trauma, or breathing difficulty patients...Once I'm sure that immediate life threats have been dealt with I'll say something like, "I know your scared/in pain, and that's perfectly understandable....but let me tell you what I KNOW right now. You're color is good, lungs sound good, pulse ox shows good saturation...so I know you're moving good air...Ok? The monitor tells me that your heart is working strong as a little engine, so I don't want you to worry about that right now...vitals are in a good range. All this means that you got scared, and that can put things out of context for a bit...but all the important systems are doing just what I'd like them to do...OK? Do you have any questions?"

It only applies to appropriate ages of course, but people seem to trust me more, and have more confidence than when I just said, "You doing fine, try and relax."

Being a good listener and being observant to body language is very important as well, as you can pick up a lot of verbal and non-verbal clues as to what's going on with the patient.

Yeah...it seems sometimes this is where you'll get most of your 'real' information.

Sorry to run on, but this stuff's been working for me for years.

Shoot, I didn't think you ran on at all. I'm grateful that you'd share your experience.

As many know...I've barely popped my cherry...I'm just approaching 300 pts that I've been responsible for in my clinicals, so I'm not pretending to 'know' anything...just some of my thoughts so far...

Dwayne

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Line #3. Nursing Home

You do realize this patient has been dead for 4 hours don't you?

Sorry Terri couldn't resist! :)

MUAHAHAHAHAHA

I qualify my statement to say, if the patient is joking around, no matter how serious the case, perhaps, and I say cautiously perhaps, you might make with some funnys. Play it by ear, on a case by case basis.
Heck, I'll joke with serious patients too if that's their style. When I had officers stabbed, the cop recognized me approaching and opened with a joke...so I threw a joking line back. A few patients will do this. But no, I generally save the jokes unless patient leads with it.

• 3 weeks later...

on ER returns, or some instance where the pt. is alert and oriented x 7 and really needs a wheelchair van to get home or to the 'seniah home', after Hello, my name is ___ I usually say "do you want to ride or drive?" and that lightens the mood for the rest of the encounter. but if they are grouches, nothing cheeky is said.

You know, the medic I just finished precepting with uses humor a lot...and it always works! He's just got this knack for saying hilarious things, along with his smiless Steven Wright delivery, that would never occurr to me would be funny...For example..

We went on a transfer. In the hospital bed is a smokin' hot redhead, and no one knows it better than her. Everyone in the room..family, husband, kids, appear strained, exhausted and are walking on eggshells to the point that I'm sure we're either taking her to Hospice, or she's just been tearing their asses up. I find the answer almost immediately.

She announces that she's an EMT-I, and says "Jesus Christ! A student! I don't want him riding in the back with me." The basic steps up and asks what's going on and she yells, "I have a tumor and can't eat! They are putting in a feeding tube, so I have to have surgery! I haven't had anything to eat in 4 days!"

The medic points to her tray and says, "So...I guess you aren't going to need that cake..." Possibly one of the funniest things I've ever heard (In context). Everyone laughed...Wicked Wanda was suddenly OK with the student and life was fine...

17 y/o ran a red light, got T-boned and ended up on the front lawn of a church. She's screaming,"I want my mommy!! It wasn't my fault this time! Get me my mommyyyyyyyyy!" Over and over. That is her answer to every question. I tried being nice, tried telling her to knock her crap off so I could tell if she was dying...pulled all the tricks out of my bag...

The medic says "So, I guess you didn't know it's illegal to park on the grass..." Instantly she shuts up, starts to laugh and says, "Oh my God! (hahahahah) That is so stupid! (hahahah)" And life is good again.

I wish I had his knack. I'm sure it isn't fool proof, but I've seen it a lot and it's 100% in my experience.

Anyway, I'm not promoting or condoning like behavior, but I do believe it can be another tool in the toolbox.

Dwayne

In class running the assessments, I cant ever seem to find a comfortable approach either. They want us to say, "Hi, my name is xxxx, I am an EMT, can you tell me what brought us out here today?"

When I had to do my first medical assessment infront of the class I said, "Hi, my name is Lisa, and I am going to be your EMT today. Can you tell me whats going on?"

I thought I made that up..lol I see atleast one of you uses the that too..lol

Im a joky kind of person. I love humor, esp. sarcasm. I usually don't ever joke with anyone, or "let up" unless I can tell they would be okay with it. I see what I get first before I give any out.

I generally just introduce myself and start my assessment. Much like everyone else does. Although you can generally tell how bad the pt is by how serious I get. If it's a non-critical pt I have been known to make a joke or even sing (no I can't sing). I have a hard time with kids though. Adults I can ramble for hours, but kids I don't know what to talk about. I usually feel like I should offer them a beer and a smoke. jk. How do you make kids feel more at ease. Shy of brining the parent in the back and letting them do it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.