The Price You Pay for Interfering

firedoc5

09:54 PM CST on Thursday, February 14, 2008

Watch News 4 coverage

Tell us: What do you think?

(KMOV) -- A police officer in Hazelwood will have to pay thousands of dollars for getting into it with a firefighter while he was trying to help an accident victim.

News 4 obtained police video that shows the Hazelwood police officer arresting a fire captain while he's trying to move an injured driver.

Watch raw video from the dashcam It happened on Interstate 270 back in May of 2003.

Officer Todd Greeves wanted a fire truck moved to open up another lane of traffic.

The Robertson Fire Protection District Captain wanted the truck there to protect emergency workers.

Officer Greeves has been ordered to pay $18,000.

His attorney says he's disappointed and that his client's conduct was not malicious in any way.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly have NO COMMENT! However YES the thought process is there......

WTF! People!

Just curious. Why do you create a post that says you have no comment? Wouldn't not leaving a comment be better for the thread, and say the same thing?

Just wondering....

Dwayne

Just curious. Why do you create a post that says you have no comment? Wouldn't not leaving a comment be better for the thread, and say the same thing?

Just wondering....

Dwayne

Thank you Dwayne, for asking the question that many of us have.....

I watched the dashcam video... and not only did the officer have his head up his a$$, I hope that the dashcam video gets used as a traiing exercise in what not to do at a scene...

There was traffic on both sides of the scene... the fire department had valid reasons for parking where they did to secure that side for protection. If the officer had an issue with it, he should have taken it up AFTER the incident, rather than pull a rescuer away from the patient.

I was kinda hoping that when the fire department moved the truck, that the dashcam would show the officer getting hit by a car..... just to prove a point.....

I was in a little bit of hurry so my wife could get on-line before she was going to work, but what I was going to say is that it seems like the cop was having a power-trip-type of hissy-fit.

Here's the link. This is incredible to me. This Police Dept. and Fire Dept. must have a history of pissing contests that go waaaay back. I'm hoping to find out that this Police Officer was terminated and stripped of his LEO certification. As a former LEO and Firefighter, I totally agree with using the Fire truck as a barrier and disagree with the Officer demanding they move the truck.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=233_1203031330

Fire the cop, he clearly didn't have the safety of anyone in mind. Suppose the captain was holding a fracture, or C-spine; the video clearly shows the officer walk up, and pull his arm away. He didn't have time to visualize what the fire captain was doing.

Though, off topic, I disapprove of the way the fire captain was hanging out the door of the moving apparatus. One slip, and all X tons of fire apparatus would have been rolling over his legs, torso or head. :roll:

It's very common to use an unoccupied apparatus as a buffer, to protect crews from rubberneckers and out-of-control vehicles. The troopers car was not good enough. I have no problem closing a roadway for as long as is necessary. Someone else's plans and schedule mean absolutely nothing to me, and I enjoy telling them that very much. :P

Absolutely insane! WTF?

This sort of thing -- minus the arrest -- happens a lot though. A lot of departments grill their cops on keeping lanes open like a farking pointless mantra they cannot ignore. Just like the idiots who go out of their way to hassle the media reps who are not in any way interfering, just because something in their testosterone tells them it's the cool thing to do.

You notice that the cop never went all the way around to the drivers door of the apparatus? Well, I wonder why! Because he was at least smart enough to realise that traffic would nail him if he did. Too bad he wasn't smart enough to take that thought to it's logical conclusion. Arsewipe.

I agree. The perfect ending of the video would have been to see his lifeless body flying through the air. I wonder how many fire personnel would have shown up at his funeral?

So what about police admin? Did they back him up on this? Did they instruct their officers to do this kind of shyte, or was it strictly his own stupidity? I have a feeling he is not the only one in this department with that problem. I seriously doubt that it's something he just cooked up on his own. Law enforcement is a monkey-see-monkey-do field. If this is the normal routine for this department, the chief, supervisors, and trainers should all be sacked. Was the cop sacked? Was anybody sacked? Was the fine criminal or civil? If it was criminal, I hope the fire captain filed a civil suit too, because he'd be in for more than that fine was.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.