Deployment In Busy Urban Systems

HellsBells

The squad I work at serves a suburban area with first due on the Pa turnpike. It has three stations and a call volume around 5,000 a year. It recently created to "phantom" posts in an effort to create a dynamic deployment when necessary. Typical staffing is three transporting medic units, and five day shifts a week a "floating" BLS units is staffed as a fourth unit.

The "float" unit responds to all calls and when possible will take a BLS patient to allow the medic unit to remain availible. If a patient is being transported ALS then the "float" unit covers that units area, or may elect to assist the medic unit on a critical patient(s).

The phantom posts are set at the midpoint between two set stations and are relocated to when the two set station units are in service on calls. If for example all three units are comitted then the last unit is to relocate to the northern phantom post that sits in the most central location for the entire local. The system is rather new to our county, but for the most part has been very effective. Units aren't required to relocate unless the county dispatch or officer orders them to from 2300-0500 hours.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the urban area nearest me, they're too busy to have posting locations. They'd never make it to them.

That said, however, they are fire-based, and therefore have a station to go back to, typically between the hours of 0300-0600. Outside of that, not much chance of ever seeing it.

I work as the system status manger for a large ems company in Atlanta GA. and we do SSM on a 24/48 sch. we have a dynamic plan where certin zones must be covered unitl we reach 3 ambulances then we go to a post closest and easiest access to the interstate. We post out of Firestations for our 24 hr units and for the 3 12 hr units we have they are mobile for placement. Coming from the trucks up to here it is horriable for the 12 hr units and units at not demand posts. Always moving just to get turned around and sent somewhere elase just to catch a call in the area you were just in.

First of, I like the shirt pic.

I work in Chicago. I am a firefighter/emt-b. I ride the ambo 6x a quarter. I ride the busiest ambo in the city. The bls rigs can run to every corner of the city depending. Especially if the ALS ambo's get a large incident (Plan). It is not unusual to start at 7am and noit return to the house until 7 the next morning.

I get back into service quickly. I dont sit at the hospital. If more of our ambulances did this, the amount of windshield time would be deminished here. 'll do 2 runs for some ambulances one. Its not fair but I do what I feel is right.

I will also get on the radio and let the office know if I can get to a run quicker and let another ambo stay in quarters.

They run the BLS all over as they know it is not an emergency.

In my system we just started using AVL (Automatic Vehicle locator). This is so they can dispatch the closest ambulance to a call. Ambulances still have stations, but they do post in certain areas when other trucks are out. Ambulances do not move after 2300 to post. Paramedics are allowed to mark out of service at shift change if they ran a late call and want to get home. That is so they do not get stuck at a call near the hospital when they are ready to go home. But they can answer the call if they want to, and administration encourages us to answer if it seems like a priority call.

I can't say that this system is the best system, but I think it is a good system overall. They response times would also improve if we had medics to fill spots. Daily we have numerous trucks mark out of service due to staffing.

Responding a bit to Mateo_1387's posting, I mention the FDNY EMS uses a Computer Assisted Dispatch system. If a team has a "late call" that takes them past "quitting time," when they signal that they are completed on the call, the CAD logs them off.

If a team is late with the vehicle when the next tour's team is supposed to get that vehicle, they (the next tour) are supposed to go into service with a spare vehicle at the station. There are supposed to be additional vehicles, all checked out and ready to go after specific spare equipment is placed on board. This applies to both BLS and ALS units.

A quickie mention that sometimes the spare vehicle, usually an older vehicle, can sometimes be the assigned vehicle replaced by the newer one that is still with the late crew, as I used to be in vehicle #055, and now would be in 225. I'm late with the vehicle, so the next tour goes into service in #055.

Just curious, any reason that SSM seems ok for the ambulances, but not ok for engine companies and ladder companies? Could you imagine what would happen if a city decided to cut back on suppresion, and to make up for a possible extended response time put them at cross street locations? Just curious.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.