Deployment In Busy Urban Systems

HellsBells

What a load of shyte.

The "ideal" way to handle any call volume takes all effects into consideration and weights the benefits against the drawbacks. SSM does not do that. There is nothing ideal about SSM. Just like every other method, it either ends up costing you too much or leaving you inadequately staffed. The only difference is it causes more problems for your agency in the long run than the other methods.

You don't seem to agree with anything! SSM by having more units on during noted busier times is taking things 'into consideration' and the benefit is covering your local, getting units to patients and sometimes like in all business you don't make money.

For the love of god the restaurant world uses SSM because it works.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. SSM is not a generic term for any system that adjusts their staffing to accommodate the workload. Don't try to bastardise it into such. Simply having more crews during the day than at night does not constitute SSM. That's no more valid an argument than claiming that all persons who provide prehospital care are paramedics. Enough with the word games. Stick to substantive discussions.

I'd be interested in following the retention and retirement numbers of the post-merger FDNY EMS as time progresses. I want to see how many, who stared after the merger, actually stick around long enough to retire, and what the average turnover rate is. I'm talking those who are strictly EMS, not those who go on to the fire side after starting in EMS. It currently sounds like a recipe for high burnout. Anybody that stays in that system long enough to retire probably burned out long before they got there.

As I have said before, i left FDNY 10 months after the merger. I have been gone for 11 years now. I went back several months ago, and visited 5 stattions i used to work at in NYC. Out of the 5 stations, I knew maybe one person at each. Almost everyone i knew, is now a LT, or Capt, or D/C.

The attrition rate, which was very high in NYC-EMS, is OFF THE HOOK, with FDNY. But they will deny it because by their calculations anyone work gets "promoted" to firefighter didnt leave the service, as they are still employed by FDNY. But speaking with friends the average EMT stays 2-3 years and leaves or moves up to FF. Many dont even want to bother getting their medic, people that stay usually go on to Police , nursing or medical school.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.