When do I start to panic?

hammerpcp

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait...before we get to far gone...

Is there a precaution for pregnancy and D50?

I can't seem to come up with anything...and my little pea brain is ringing any bells when connecting the two...So what gives?

Dwayne

I would imagine if the mother has low blood sugars, dextrose must be administered to correct this. If the concentration bothers some, reduce the concentration to D25%, D12.5%, or D10%. This may decrease any potential injury to the fetus from sudden increase in glucose in the mother.

In reference to the potential damage to the fetus, or use in pregnancy, I don't believe that it has been determined with certainty that it is 100% safe to administer the Dextrose 50%. It comes down to a risk benefit decision, and the preceding options apply (reducing concentration). It would be much more beneficial to raise the mothers glucose level than have her seize, or worse. It is not required to give the entire 25 g either...use your judgement

I would imagine if the mother has low blood sugars, dextrose must be administered to correct this. If the concentration bothers some, reduce the concentration to D25%, D12.5%, or D10%. This may decrease any potential injury to the fetus from sudden increase in glucose in the mother.

In reference to the potential damage to the fetus, or use in pregnancy, I don't believe that it has been determined with certainty that it is 100% safe to administer the Dextrose 50%. It comes down to a risk benefit decision, and the preceding options apply (reducing concentration). It would be much more beneficial to raise the mothers glucose level than have her seize, or worse. It is not required to give the entire 25 g either...use your judgement

Hell, we use D25 and D10 with peds...It should have occurred to me that it might hurt the fetus...

Thanks for explaining.

Dwayne

So what do you give your hypoglycemia pregnant women?

Oral glucose if able, Glucagon if not.

Mind you, I haven't had a pregnant woman needing any pharmacological intervention at all save for LR during a transfer *knock on wood,* but that is what we're taught.

ok inside you can panic that this patient has just arrested on you when the signs all pointed to pre-eclampsia devolving into eclampsia. You can panic now that you realize that you didn't get a line in and you have a patient in arrest.

You can panic now that you have two lives who are coding and not just one.

You can panic because your medical director and the legal eagles are going to ask you why you waited on scene for so long considering hypoglycemia and not transporting when the signs of pre-eclampsia are there.

once the seizure started you got wayyyyyyyyyy behind the eightball.

this is a learning experience for everyone. Pregnancy emergencies are not taught very much at all and continuing education courses are few and far between. maybe we all need to go back and review pregnancy related emergencies.