When do I start to panic?

hammerpcp

Well, in that case, I would immediately do an emergency c-section.

No, no, just kidding.

Just work up the code like any other. Consider the hypertension, edema, and her symptoms, obviously we'd be thinking that she is eclamptic.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VS

BP180/94

HR 120 sinus tach

SpO2 96% on O2

CBG 2.5 mmol/L (norm range is 3.6 - 6.8 )

PEARL

skin as above

What is PEARL?? :?:

To convert mmol/L to mg/dl....multiply mmol/L times 18..FYI for the Americans:lol:

Short for "Pupils are Equal And Reactive to Light"

And when I asked before what's CBG, I didn't mean a diagnostic, I meant, what does it mean.

We're all learning here...

I think you mean PERRL or PERRLA. Pupils Equal, Round, Reactive to Light (and Accomodation, few people truly know what accomodation means).

I think you mean PERRL or PERRLA. Pupils Equal, Round, Reactive to Light (and Accomodation, few people truly know what accomodation means).

Ya I'm one of them, although I have seen it written I hav no idea what accomodation means.

Care to share a definition?

Ya I'm one of them, although I have seen it written I hav no idea what accomodation means.

Care to share a definition?

While assessing vision and cranial nerve function, one of the tests would be to hold a pen or finger about 12" from the tip of the nose and have the patient focus on this point. Both eyes should converge equally and pupils should constrict slightly. After a few seconds, have the patient focus on a point on a distant wall..10 feet or so away...like a picture or prepositioned tape line. The pupils should dilate back to normal and the eyes return to midline..equally. This is known as accommodation and I have seen the test in either order..far to near or near to far. Often, it is easier to have the patient focus on a far object first an then focus on a penlight of pen...

The absence of constriction, convergence, dilation, or an asymmetric response should be noted and reevaluated.

And when I asked before what's CBG, I didn't mean a diagnostic, I meant, what does it mean.

We're all learning here...

I'd have to say capillary blood glucose level...just sayin?? :wink:

To answer the question of the topic, "When to panic?" NEVER, at least not until patient is in care of ER or OB. Find a closet or something, have a episode for about three minutes. Straighten yourself up, go on. Next call, please.