When do I start to panic?

hammerpcp

Edema of face/hands/feet?

Either way I'm going to go on eclampsia as the larger life threat here...If it turns out to be sugar, the worst that's likely to happen in the short term is we'll bring down her BP a bit...(assuming all previous interventions have been accomplished IV,O2,monitor,glucose)

14/16g IV wherever we can get it...

5mg diazepam push, with 5 more standing by...

4g mag sulfate in 250mL saline to run in over 10 mins with airway support nearby...

At first nonseizure moment, get a second IV (simply for redundancy), new vitals, get packaged and enroute...

And hope I don't turn out to be a complete idiot...

As usual I decided to post without research, so It's likely I'm completely off in the ditch here...But if so, with the exception of the diazepam/fetus interaction, I don't see where this is going to take her backwards...

Dwayne

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still want to know about PMS, grip, to rule out stroke

I doubt this is PMS, she's pregnant. Everyone is jumping to physical exam. I would focus on the history a little more. You can make 90% of your diagnoses on the history and then confirm it with the physical exam.

(as an EMT-B)

Sounds like maybe her appendix.

What could i do?

As questions. SAMPLE, Pertinent past history would be a biggy.

Base line vitals

Rigidity? tenderness in any of the 4 quadrants? Just the lower. (Appendix is in lower)

Nasuae and headache.

Airway? clear? Adequate breathing?

What was she doing the say before? Could even turn out to be a poisening.

Treatment:

High flow oxygen. 15L via non-rebreather

Transport in the position of comfort.

Re-assess vitals every 5 minutes

ALS otw

Re-assess initial assessment if any changes

(Rigidity? tenderness in any of the 4 quadrants? Just the lower. (Appendix is in lower)

My guess is that will be difficult as she is obviously pregnant, so will be hard to determine rigidity. Maybe test for positive heal strike prior to her starting to seize.

Ok, so we've fixed the sugar and the seizure...so far anyway. NPA just in case she seizes again. Is there family around? Meds visible? Needles? What does the environment look like? does it offer any clues???

Brat :angel8: