Spouse not interested in EMS?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i believe that in most not all cases keeping it in the family is good you can be there for one another in good days n bad cuz u understand the bs and all daily but then in some cases bringing it home to non "ems /fie/etc"makes it rougher they dont understand just expect you to be there no matter how ur feeling etc

depends on the situation

My other half has told me that is not her life. What she wants to know is:

1. what is my schedule

2. call or have someone call if I am going to be late

3. Did I deposit the check

4. What food did I take from the house.

Funny thing is, my other half is a real good first aider and is requested to help at various Scouting events and on trail maintenance work days.

Oh well that's life

The father of my children was not into EMS. As a matter of fact, he made fun of it in the most horrible way. I got so sick of it. Laughing at first responders and Volly Fire Fighters. Being extremely derogitive towards me and my work. He wanted to know the life history of every person I worked around or with. He didn't want to hear about my calls I ran NOR did he want me to talk to friends about the calls I ran. He expected work to stay at work and that meant if I was stress from bad runs or bad calls, TOO BAD!! Leave it at the door, come home smiling and happy feed him and clean the house do his laundry pay his bills and go agin. NOT!!!! Lets not forget the extreme jealousy that he portrayed. He did NOT want me around any man what so ever and I was accused of all sorts of stuff with every person imaginable. It became the most horrilble of existence. Some thing had to change, and so Change I did!!

It's not always peaches and cream..... some say don't marry inside EMS, I say get some one that at least understands what is going on!!

My wife knew what she was getting into. We dated while I was a volly so she got used to me having a pager and leaving at odd times. She likes to hear some of the "war" stories and got used to me having to be on call. When I started doing it full time, she got used to those hours quickly. She dosen't take an active role in talking about my job or understanding it sometimes, but she enjoys that I enjoy what I do.

I have found that dating guys outside EMS has it's benefits...for example, when I date another medic/ff I have trouble later remembering how 'normal' people converse!! I have to remember that blood and guts is not for the dinner table. I have to remember that mvc's are not 'smucks' and they don't know the difference between dead and 'way dead' (and usually don't want to!). On the other hand, someone mentioned jealousy...I'm the only girl on my FD...nuff said...not many guys can handle that. Whereas someone else in EMS understands that I'm out WORKING (well, for the most part! :lol: )

Brat :angel8:

I have found that dating guys outside EMS has it's benefits...for example, when I date another medic/ff I have trouble later remembering how 'normal' people converse!! I have to remember that blood and guts is not for the dinner table. I have to remember that mvc's are not 'smucks' and they don't know the difference between dead and 'way dead' (and usually don't want to!). On the other hand, someone mentioned jealousy...I'm the only girl on my FD...nuff said...not many guys can handle that. Whereas someone else in EMS understands that I'm out WORKING (well, for the most part! :o )

Brat :angel8:

Oh and It can make your life HELL!!!! :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.