Term Used for EMT or Paramedic

firedoc5

I'm sure some of you have came across this. When an EMT, who is NOT a paramedic, tells people they are, or were, a paramedic. Case in point, my brother-in-law would be talking with someone and said he had been a paramedic in IL. I'd correct him and say, "No, you were an EMT-I in IL." He then explained to me that it was easier and less confusing if he said paramedic because not everyone knew what an EMT-I is. That always burned my butt. But more and more I hear others say the same thing. A local "kid" who didn't know that I use to run on the local ambulance here, actually it's where I got my start, was telling me he was a paramedic here. I was like, "Wow, they use to only have EMT's here". Turns out, all they still have are EMT's. I think I made him feel a little uncomfortable.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using the term "EMT" during introductions can be a real pain. I don't blame him.

When I call myself an ambulance driver, because it's a familiar term, I get "Oh, so you're not actually in the back?" Argh. So, when the look of confusion tells me they don't know what EMT is, I'll say "Emergency Medical Technician, I work in ambulance" (which still sounds weird to say as your job). If they're still not getting it, I'll just say "Like a paramedic?"

That way I'm not actually calling myself a "paramedic", but describing what I do. If I'm doing rushed introductions like at a party with people I don't care about, I'll just say "paramedic" because it saves me the hassle and I'm just describing the work.

I've tried so many different things "ambulance workers". Or I'll say EMT, then quickly add "It's a level below paramedic. You have to put in your time as an EMT, before being admitted to paramedic schools" so at least you show you're going somewhere.

Doc,

You raise an interesting question. If states license Paramedics (as some states do I am told while others move that way, at least Ky is), would this constitute practicing without a license if it was done on scene? I think it would. What about impersonating emergency response personnel?

Pretty easy...

Use the terms "basic" and "intermediate", they are both perfect descriptions...when you get tired of hearing them...move on. :wink:

Isn't it illegal, like someone else mentioned, to misrepresent your level of care?

(Bushy! You hush...we haven't been here in a while. I hate this question, but hate those that believe it's ok to use the term "Medic" when it hasn't been earned worse.)

Except, I don't think anyone was misrepresenting level of care. It seemed like he was talking about off-duty introductions, not on-scene. If it's work-related of course you're not going to misrepresent b/c work related people know the differences.

Except, I don't think anyone was misrepresenting level of care. It seemed like he was talking about off-duty introductions, not on-scene. If it's work-related of course you're not going to misrepresent b/c work related people know the differences.

Actually I've heard it said on and off duty.

my opinion is that we have so many more pressing issues facing us in EMS today than to get really worked up over being called Ambulance drivers.

That term is what 99% of the US Population knows us as.

the other 1% watched rescue 911(where no-one ever died), paramedics or saved. And that population is the ones to be worried about.

So let's attack the pressing issues like training and getting paid as professionals and performing the duties of professionals and then we can attack this issue.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.