Term Used for EMT or Paramedic

firedoc5

my opinion is that we have so many more pressing issues facing us in EMS today than to get really worked up over being called Ambulance drivers.

That term is what 99% of the US Population knows us as.

the other 1% watched rescue 911(where no-one ever died), paramedics or saved. And that population is the ones to be worried about.

So let's attack the pressing issues like training and getting paid as professionals and performing the duties of professionals and then we can attack this issue.

I'll play devil's advocate here:

Yeah that person is getting tortured.... but THOUSANDS of people are getting KILLED every day. We need to stop that from happening before we worry about that person being tortured.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm... in my boy scout camp setting, regardless of certification, we're all referred to as "medics".

"Medic 4, can you come back to the yurt?" --> referred to an EMT-B friend of mine

"Medic 1, they need someone at the pool" --> referred to an RN

So... since we referred to each other as the "medics" and others called us "medics" are we guilty of impersonating paramedics on our scenes? I think what I'm trying to get at here is that it really is a matter of context.

I think Anthony has it right... if they don't get it... "You know, like the paramedics? The guys in the flashy ambulance? Yeah, we're like them, but we don't do as much stuff as they do and they have more school..."

Wendy

CO EMT-B

"Hi. I'm Richard B, and I am an Emergency Medical Technician. I take care of people, and try to save their lives, in the back of a Fire Department New York Ambulance."

"Thanks for the promotion, but a Paramedic is a higher level of training than where I am currently at, as an EMT"

"EMS is the Emergency Medical Service, known by the initials EMS, and employs Emergency Medical Technicians (also known by the initials EMT) and Paramedics, not the other way around"

"I hope to not HAVE a 'Grizzliest' call, or talk about my 'worst' call, if it's all the same to you, please."

"We drive as fast as needed, but always take into account other traffic on the roads, road conditions, and the way bouncing the patient will be detrimental to their care."

"The reason we have 'Ambulance' written in mirror-writing on the hood is so the driver ahead of us will know, by reading it straightaways in the mirror, that the siren they hear is from us, and hopefully, they will move to the right and let the ambulance through."

That handle most of the questions asked of us at a cocktail party, or a kid knocking on the ambulance window?

Just tell them you work on an ambulance in conjunction with Emergency Medical Services if you don't want to explain the difference between an EMT and Paramedic.

More often then not when I get asked about the difference in professions I'm more then happy to explain it.

It appears to me that many places call all involved with EMS paramedics. Then they add letters to that to designate level. Dealing with many non-English speaking people from Mexico there is no simple way to explain EMT, they only have paramedics even though many only have first responder education. It takes a 20 minute discussion to make it as clear as mud. To save time the accepted method for EMT-B is to say "Soy un paramedico básico" ( intermediate replace with intermedio )or in english "I am a basic paramedic".

I really don't know in the USA how we get EMT vs paramedic anyway. All are EMT's. Its EMT-B, EMT-I, EMT-P plus all the other alphabets that are added.

Well, living in California. Calling an EMT a Paramedic comes off as sort of an insult or being a BSer. We don't have EMT-I and the scope between a Paramedic's knowledge and ability's and an EMT-B's is so vast that I think they deserve the distinction.

Not many EMT-B's stay with that profession out here, though. Most places only pay minimum wage until you become EMT-P certified. So a lot of us just get our 2000 hours in and head off to EMT-P school. Which is what I think everyone should do.

So maybe taking that extra 5 minutes to explain what an EMT-B is is just another way of paying your due's.

Not many EMT-B's stay with that profession out here, though. Most places only pay minimum wage until you become EMT-P certified. So a lot of us just get our 2000 hours in and head off to EMT-P school. Which is what I think everyone should do.

So maybe taking that extra 5 minutes to explain what an EMT-B is is just another way of paying your due's.

LOL!!! :D

Quality post! You just completely changed what my answer was going to be. I agree with you. :thumbright:

Richard, good try, but I don't know if that'll work for me.

"Hi. I'm Richard B, and I am an Emergency Medical Technician. I take care of people, and try to save their lives, in the back of a Fire Department New York Ambulance."
Too cocky. Especially, if there's anyone in public safety or the medical field possibly present...but even if not. It's hard to EXPLAIN the job or job title in a sentence that works well in social situations.

"Thanks for the promotion, but a Paramedic is a higher level of training than where I am currently at, as an EMT"
But then there's follow-up questions and I go into that whole explanation which bores myself to death, unless I really care about this person and want to explain what I do in detail.

"EMS is the Emergency Medical Service, known by the initials EMS, and employs Emergency Medical Technicians (also known by the initials EMT) and Paramedics, not the other way around"
Good to read on the message board, but I that sounds so stiff/nerdy/technical in conversation (same goes for the rest of the replies in the post. I mean I guess it might be good in an actual cocktail party with other professionals...but what about at random house parties or when meeting new friends on the go through your social circle...or even your hair stylist (I have the convo everytime I go in...new person each time).

Anyone have other ways of replying/explaining?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.