Term Used for EMT or Paramedic

firedoc5

other ways of replying/explaining?

"I'm with the ambulance" probably won't invite a pt. to ask the follow-up question about one's chauffeuring skills. As for others who inquire, well:

"I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you." -- Kerry Collins, a Carolina Panther, on which rookie he hired to take the brunt of his own hazing (July 20, 1995).

"Oh, that's a secret. I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you." -- Jim Courier, tennis player, when asked what he had learned by visiting a sports psychologist (May 30, 1994).

"That's classified information. I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you." -- Nick Faldo, golfer, on whether he had been consulted about Seve Ballesteros's being chosen for the Ryder Cup (Aug. 12, 1993).

"I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you." -- Glen Hanlon, Vancouver Canucks goal-tending coach, when asked where he'd traveled during a three-week scouting mission (April 14, 1993).

"I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you." -- Stan Gelbaugh, a Seattle Seahawk, on the name of a touchdown play (Dec. 31, 1992).

"I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you." -- Brad Edwards, a Washington Redskin, when asked what he would do if the Buffalo Bills used a wishbone-style offense during the Super Bowl (Jan. 15, 1992).

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That entire thing was for the cocktail party, not for the patient/family/neighbors/bystanders at a call.

And, when I wrote

"EMS is the Emergency Medical Service, known by the initials EMS, and employs Emergency Medical Technicians (also known by the initials EMT) and Paramedics, not the other way around"
I neglected to mention "That is a common error, which I hear all the time."

I can understand someone who is an EMT-B or EMT-I telling a patient or someone else they are a paramedic. A lot of people don't understand the differences between the three and some really have no interest in trying to learn. All they want is someone who is competent in what they do to help them. Being a EMT-I, EMT-B, or a Paramedic doesn't really matter to them, just as long as you can help them in the manner they need to be helped in. :)

I would say something acceptable to do, is if the person you're speaking to is in the medical field. Tell them you're an EMT-B. If they're not familiar with the medical profession tell them you're a medic.

Army Medics are only EMT-B certified, we called ourselves Combat Life Savers or Medics. But we were also allowed to perform procedures even paramedics aren't allowed to do. Some of the techniques are only permitted to be performed by real Doctors in the civilian side of things.

EDIT: I was actually talking to a psychiatrist two weeks ago for an updated PTSD screening and told him I was an EMT-B, he wasn't aware of what it was. I found that kind of odd.

I would say something acceptable to do, is if the person you're speaking to is in the medical field. Tell them you're an EMT-B. If they're not familiar with the medical profession tell them you're a medic.
Exactly. If you're saying it in a situation where it would affect your status, you say what you really are, an EMT. If you're in a situation where you need to COMMUNICATE and let someone know you're medical help and you think saying "paramedic" will best communicate that, use that. I've said "Fire Department!" while knocking on a doors. I have no interest in being seen as a FF, but it's communicating.

Then there's always the case of talking to the hot drunk girl at the party . . . :D

The whole concept of giving people a three word, ten syllable title after completing an 80 hour first aid course was just plain stupid to begin with. In fact, it's iilustrative of the stupidity upon which EMS was built from the beginning.

You know how they say that the more shyte you carry on your bat belt and EMS pockets, the less experience you probably have? Same goes with this name thing. In medicine, the longer the title, the more insignificant the provider probably is. This is expecially true with EMTs. Hell, if you're so proud of being a 120 hour wonder, then why not spell out all three words to people? I mean seriously, how big of a hurry do you have to be in to want to shorten it to three letters that nine out of ten people don't have a clue about? Especially when you know that, no matter what you tell them, they will ALWAYS ask you more questions about it, even if you're a paramedic. Might as well start explaining from the beginning of your answer.

But yeah... when somebody asks what I do, I don't say, "I'm an RN, BSc, EMT-P". I just say I'm a nurse. Even well known initials like RN just make you sound like a dork when you refer to yourself that way.

I too find it amusing how the vast majority of firemonkeys, who work full-time in EMS every shift, answer "I'm a firefighter!" when somebody asks what they do. It is a very telling reflection of their attitudes towards EMS as a profession though. If they're ashamed to even claim it, it boggles the mind why the politicians think they are the best suited to do it.

There is a similar situation in the military. Ask somebody in military medicine what they do, and they will usually first say, "I'm a nurse", or "I'm a doctor", not "I'm in the Army" or "I'm in the Air Force."

I can understand someone who is an EMT-B or EMT-I telling a patient or someone else they are a paramedic. A lot of people don't understand the differences between the three and some really have no interest in trying to learn. All they want is someone who is competent in what they do to help them. Being a EMT-I, EMT-B, or a Paramedic doesn't really matter to them, just as long as you can help them in the manner they need to be helped in. :D

I totally agree with that 100%

So then, you think it is better to lie and say you are a paramedic when you are just too lazy to say "emergency medical technician"?

Again, the whole premise of the question is invalid. Don't throw around stupid acronyms, and then you won't have to worry about whether people know what they mean or not.

Of course, the easy solution to all of this is to get EMTs out of EMS so there is no longer this confusion. :D

People don't know what an Emergency Medical Technician is either, though! It just ends up sounding pompous giving a long title for a not-so-prestigious job. I'll say "ambulance guy" if it gets the point across...I've tried pretty much everything.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.