Radio Codes For Duress . . . (or I need help now)

AnthonyM83

If your able to transmit with gun to head ask the person "what type of gun is that you are holding to my head?" But really just start transmitting the conversation.

Not a bad plan, except for the "idiot beep" that loudly announces itself when the transmit button is pressed to keep you from cutting yourself off in that 2 seconds that it takes the radio to start transmitting.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to hope that, if no voice response to the request for reset, the dispatcher gets a clue, and starts responding the cavalry. Better, calls in the cavalry and then asks for the reset.

It is always easier to cancel everyone responding than to start them out in the first place.

That's my point- way we would hear the request for a reset on another portable, because the radio the alarm came from will be making more noise than Patton's army. Subtle it ain't.

• 2 weeks later...

We have digital radio systems. The handsets have a nice little orange button that when pressed, brings up an alert on the RT operators screen which cannot be cancelled for 30 seconds...it locks out everything else. The channel on our handset then stays open allowing the RT op to hear everything that is going on at scene. The handsets also have GPS so the co-ordinates are also sent allowing the RT op to identify our exact location.

Our handsets also have a facility for the rt op to remotely open the channel and listen in on conversations on scene without our knowledge and to also geo-locate. This can only be done by the Duty Deployment Manager under certain circumstances...ie, we don't answer our radio for extended periods etc. See here for info.

Our handsets also have a facility for the rt op to remotely open the channel and listen in on conversations on scene without our knowledge and to also geo-locate.
Wow, that's really interesting. Great tool to monitor crews on-scene...but not so cool if you can listen into private conversations between partners while in the rig....

We have the "Oh S&*$" button. Makes your mike open for 15-30 seconds so you can give any information needed. Also can give your unit number followed by "R" and they will know you are in trouble. We also get "duration Checks" every ten minutes on scene, unless you cancel. IF they get no response, will start the cavalry!

Thank God I have never had to use.

I have backed out of a scene and called dispatch and said, " Request Sheriffs office our location." That works, too, if you can do it. Some calls and some addresses get automatic law enforcement dispatch.

Sarge

Does anyones service have a protocol where they check your welfare after x amount of time with no contact? Just wondering. We were on scene with a diabetic tonight and dispatch didn't check on us for 45 min. I know with police officers, they get checked every four to five min. we don't need that frequent status checks, or do we? Or do we need them at all?

Does anyones service have a protocol where they check your welfare after x amount of time with no contact? Just wondering. We were on scene with a diabetic tonight and dispatch didn't check on us for 45 min. I know with police officers, they get checked every four to five min. we don't need that frequent status checks, or do we? Or do we need them at all?

Every 5 min by page. After 3 pages and no acknowledgement, a whole lot of police appear. Can be a pain in the butt. If we foresee extended time without contacting dispatch, we just radio we'll check and advise...Next contact must be initiated by us within 20 minutes or..... a whole lot of police appear...Not a bad system unless you forget to check back :oops:

code red G - immediate danger to all on scene gun involved

code red K - " " " " " " knife "

code yellow - verbal threats and escalation of tension on scene, send help immediately

code green - need LE on scene, no immediate danger, usually used for drunks, druggies, and mentally challenged

code brown - ....shots fired?

Sorry, easy joke that no one else took. We don't have a panic button, but I'm sure that phrases like "Shots fired" or "Send PD ASAP" repeated over the radio along with your call sign would be enough...well pretty sure. Our local LEO's are pretty good at responding to calls that have cause for concern to begin with. However, this is BFE...

Did you see my post right above yours?

Sarge

The old Health and Hospitals EMS, and now the FDNY EMS, protocols are pretty simple. When on the scene, or in hospital, call in every 20 minutes to advise "extended", reasons being "Patient Care", (in hospital) "Triage", "bed", "Signature", "BBP" (blood borne pathogen, I'm cleaning up the back of the bus".

If we don't initiate the contact, EMD radios us. No initial response, they send an alert tone, and repeat request. On scene, they send another unit, at hospital, they send the supervisor.

Admittedly, there are some hospitals that have radio dead zones in the EDs. One time, not only was my unit placed off service NRR (no response to radio), so was the Captain sent to check us out!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.