Radio Codes For Duress . . . (or I need help now)

AnthonyM83

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We use 10-33 for situations where we cant talk in the clear (as in responding to a security check when the bad guy is standing over us). We use "Request PD code 3" for everything else. We also have the emer button on the 700 mhz...

I find it humorous that people still cling to 10-codes with such passion and never realize how antiquated they are.

When I teach NIMS and ICS, I always ask people to give me the reason 10 codes were invented. Without failing, someone says "So the public won't know what we're talking about." But if you listen to a scanner long enough, you'll learn every code in your area.

The real reason they were invented was because when radios were first installed in police cars, the batteries weren't capable of supporting the car, the lights, and the radio together. So if you had all running at the same time, you only had a few seconds on the radio before it killed everything. Unless you wanted to walk home, you had to say a lot quickly.

Personally, unless you're working in huge cities like NYC or LA where there is so many units trying to communicate constantly, I can't see a reason for 10 codes. But that's just me. 8)

"I need help" always seemed to work well for me.

Devin

10-9 you were 10-1

10-24 is the almighty distress signal. If you use that code you better either be shot or on fire. Everyone gets sent then. Also that little orange emergency button on the top of my Motorola XTS 3000 works wonders......

Dispatch asks us 2 times if it was accidental, no response sends every PD or SO officer and FD within the vacinity 10-18 (L&S)

Personally, unless you're working in huge cities like NYC or LA where there is so many units trying to communicate constantly, I can't see a reason for 10 codes. But that's just me. 8)

"I need help" always seemed to work well for me.

That's what I was always taught the main reason was. Brevity. AND so in emergency situations where it's hitting the fan, you don't have to think of a way to say it. You throw out pre-rehearsed codes in almost whatever order and everyone will get the message. If you have codes drilled into you, it's almost like falling back onto your training during stress. Think of all the variations you've heard of "I need help" on law enforcement radios.

AND even in non-metropolitan departments, air time is precious in emergency situations.

(BTW, secrecy reason still works. You can scan for a year and still not know the true meaning of codes....though you could just go to the electronics store and buy a Radio Shack code book.....but even then still helps most of the time)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.