Radio Codes For Duress . . . (or I need help now)

AnthonyM83

Are there any systems out there that have distress codes or formal ways for requesting emergency law enforcement assistance?

I'm not sure why we don't have a system for calling for assistance, especially in this area. Maybe because we have an entire fire station show up to most calls, they assume we're safe (even though we're often alone before and after they show up).

I have a concern that if I ask for help in a rushed manner, I might not get it right away. When one crew witnessed some kids shoot someone down next to their ambulance, then turn the gun on the crew, hitting the glass to get them out, they radioed in "CallPD!CallPD!CallPD!" Of course, instead of dialing PD before the transmission even ended, dispatch was apparently confused, ask them to repeat, tried to reach them on Nextel, replayed transmission, discussed, then eventually called.

I know they're not police dispatchers, so I'll blame it on lack of training, but I'd prefer to have a method that gets PD on the line without hesitation. You hear this code, you dial that number. Period. PD is usually only seconds away, so that extra time does make a difference in them getting there before the damage is done.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have two.

10-9 is require urgent police assistance for patient being combative

10-10 is emergency, ambulance staff being assaulted

The Dispatcher has to hear it, pick up the phone, dial the Police, wait for them to pick up, explain the situation to a call taker, the call taker has to transfer it to the dispatcher, the dispatcher has to dispatch the Police, the Police have to travel to the scene and assist.

If it's busy the Police phone system will wait for I think 30 seconds then divert you to another call center and continue until somebody answers. This really annoys me because all three services (Fire, Police and EMS) here use the Intergraph system which can be linked. Fire and Police have done it but we can't seem to grasp the concept.

We also don't have any stab resistant clothing or personal protection beyond our Maglite which can be seen as assault with a deadly weapon if the cops want to be pissy about it.

The company I work for takes emergency requests and places emergency request in 15-16 different states with Helicopters based in 12 states. We have found that ALL codes- are pretty much useless. What means one thing in one state might mean something different 3 states away.... So we stay away from any codes at all....

Sorry I have no real help to offer....

We use 800mHz radio systems here. All our radios have an orange emergency button we can push. We can also request PD via radio. Our dispatchers are to respond to us "is the crew 10-4 (meaning okay)." If we need immediate assistance and can't answer, they call police, if we answer "we're 10-4, or we're okay" they also call police. If we are alright, or we accidently trip the emergency button, we have to respond "crew is 10-4" followed by our medic number.

This is the first place I've ever worked with real emergency procedures in place to protect us. We are allowed to use our discretion with regard to holding back for safety on calls, no questions asked. If I were in your shoes, I'd propose development of a system for safety, and take it as high up the food chain as necessary to be noticed. If your company refuses to put in crew safety measures, then they suck, and you should seek alternative employment.

Every shift I work, I repeat to my partner... Today will be a great day, and tomorrow, we're going home. I'm not dying for EMS.

When my old company got rid of 10-codes they retained one 10-code for use as a request for assistance. I have no clue, though, what procedures were in place for if anyone ever used it. I do know that the red "emergency button" on our mobile data terminals were useless.

Plain language, if we need help, we say just that and have a stage out issued for any additional units. That way nobody else gets involved, except those required. i.e. PD, etc.

We have 'man down' buttons on the radio we are required by SOP to carry from the ambo. We also have emergency buttons on the radio console, this will transmit a DTMF code and an audible signal, however only other radios can detect it. The dispatch center is not set up to receive either the man down alarm or the emergency distress alarm. Hence, making both pretty much useless.

In my municipal gig, we have the old fashioned " Mayday" transmission. This is reserved for immediate danger or harm to any emergency personnel.

Luckily, our dispatcher is in the same room with two other dispatchers that take care of EMS, Fire, and Police.

We usually have at least one PD unit with us on every call, however there are times when we get there before PD, and there are times when they leave before we load the patient because they have to break for another call....leaving us all by ourselves. It is suburban EMS, but the possibility of danger is always there.

If your company refuses to put in crew safety measures, then they suck, and you should seek alternative employment.
I've heard that course of action so many times for so many different reasons since I started posting at EMTCity. I would quit every company in the county...and it's a big county!

But I get what you're saying.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.