Radio Codes For Duress . . . (or I need help now)

AnthonyM83

We've mentioned the pretty little red buttons on the Motorola portables, so I'm chiming in again on them:

When we first went to these particular model Motorola radios, they had just been placed back in service after previously reported problems were supposed to have been "fixed." Seems a crew from my station felt threatened by the friends/family/bystanders in a city housing project, and pressed the red button. Nothing! They never lost voice contact, as they continued hearing the dispatcher and the other units on frequency.

After they packaged the patient, and exited the building, THEN the portable made the contact, and dispatch asked them if they were all right. That "Emergency" signal had been hanging for about 10 minutes!

The reason I am aware of this, is the crew was still filling out a multi-page "Field Feedback Report" on the incident, and the lieutenant was filling out an "Unusual Occurrence Report". That Feedback paper is usually 1 page long, but the crew was over-emphasizing everything, and in way greater detail than usual. They were supposed to have gone home 2 hours before I was to have started, and willingly had done so, OFF THE CLOCK!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see NJ Monmouth/Ocean Counties

10-1 get ready for info

10-2 phone call

10-7 dinner break

10-9 on location

10-24 drunk driver

10-13 motor vehicle stop

In trouble, not sure what the 10 code is. For my town PD dispatchers also dispatch fire and ems so the one time I had to request PD I just told them location and that I needed an officer nothing more. It has been stressed to Fire/EMS not to use 10 code which most of us don't. The old-timers/rednecks/uber-whackers love to, fortunately not too many left.

In Newark, the term is Code 5. If we are being held hostage, we are to say our name over the air, and that's it.

We do have the Orange buttons, and they do work for us. However, NPD is overworked and understaffed, so it can take some time before they get there.

This is directly from my SOG, thankfully, I have yet to use them.

Emergency Transmissions

A. “Emergency, clear the air” will be transmitted to clear the channel for emergency radio traffic.

B. “Urgent” will be transmitted when a situation becomes extremely dangerous to responders or civilians and the highest priority.

C. “Mayday” will be transmitted when there is an immediate threat to the life or well being of an emergency responder.

I wish I had a nice button that works!

Another reason for the 10 codes and others to disappear. Simple English is the best.

So how do you propose to plain-English explain to the dispatcher that you've got a gun to your head and need help without your assailant knowing?

Simple English is the best- except when it will get you killed.

As for us, we have the Motorola panic button that sets all kinds of alarms of in dispatch- as well as makes all kinds of noise on your portable.

It also results in Dispatch calling you and saying "Hey, can you guys reset your panic button so my alarm will stop?"

So how do you propose to plain-English explain to the dispatcher that you've got a gun to your head and need help without your assailant knowing?

Simple English is the best- except when it will get you killed.

As for us, we have the Motorola panic button that sets all kinds of alarms of in dispatch- as well as makes all kinds of noise on your portable.

It also results in Dispatch calling you and saying "Hey, can you guys reset your panic button so my alarm will stop?"

If your able to transmit with gun to head ask the person "what type of gun is that you are holding to my head?" But really just start transmitting the conversation.

We have Code 5, Code Red or Urgent. If you call Code Red you’ll normally get every man and his dog running towards you. I guess the good thing about working standby is there’s normally security or police around, if not there’s always a crowd of people where ever you go.

The only time I’ve been threatened I just yelled out “help” and within 5 seconds about 10 fat security men jumped on him :)

I think we have a red panic button on the radio in the trucks but I’ve never tried it…

I am going to hope that, if no voice response to the request for reset, the dispatcher gets a clue, and starts responding the cavalry. Better, calls in the cavalry and then asks for the reset.

It is always easier to cancel everyone responding than to start them out in the first place.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.