EMS first for me

ksmedic202

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not think that EMS should physically take down patient. That is police job, that is what they are trained for. After they have patient secure then we can check medical condition. I do not think all emotionally disturbed patients really need an ambulance to transport them. Often they need a mental health professional to evaluate them and police can transport them just as well as we can. If we transport a violent patient they must be in restraints and have law enforcement riding with us.

THANK YOU! Agree....somewhat! If they are violent then I feel we should not transport them PERIOD, with or w/o restraints. Throw them in the paddy wagon and ship them to jail.

I guess you have never seen the inside of a pediatric lock-up psyche unit?

Those 8 y/o and under scare me the most. You see them as children. They see you as someone to hurt.

I had a 10 year old male completely rip a suction unit off the wall in my truck. He was quiet enough getting into the rig, but when the doors closed, all hell broke loose! Needless to say, he got a nice set of 4 point restraints REAL quick!

Whose idea was it to even give her that choice? If she's mentally incompetent enough for you to take against her will, then she is mentally incompetent to strike a bargain with too. Screw the "Deal or No Deal" approach. Tell the cops she's going restrained, or she's going with them, period. I'm not going near her until she is restrained. That's covered on Day 1 of EMT school.

LEO's use the same technique (read: poor negotiating plan and delegation technique) here. It's most likely faster to restrain the pt. if needed and transport w/LEO so the pt. can get assessed then to jack around playing, as Dust said, "Deal or No Deal" However, it seems that psych emergencies are either not covered in training well or they don't happen enough to keep EMT's confident in handling these emergencies.

THANK YOU! Agree....somewhat! If they are violent then I feel we should not transport them PERIOD, with or w/o restraints. Throw them in the paddy wagon and ship them to jail.

Yeah, an EMS crew did something akin to that with an "intox"in DC they found in a park who they labeled as drunk and dropped off at the hospital. He died. If the police want to take responsibility for a possible hypoglycemic, seizure patient, or head injury going ahead and croaking in their lock up, well, good on them.

I remember once when I was still working in Jersey some police officers showed up on a 16 year old seizing before we did. Apparently while he was still post-ictal he became agitated and violent. One way you could say it is that the officers used force that was not completely necessary to restrain the patient. Another way of saying it was that they beat the living shit out of him. Friends of yours, PA?

Yeah, an EMS crew did something akin to that with an "intox"in DC they found in a park who they labeled as drunk and dropped off at the hospital. He died. If the police want to take responsibility for a possible hypoglycemic, seizure patient, or head injury going ahead and croaking in their lock up, well, good on them.

I remember once when I was still working in Jersey some police officers showed up on a 16 year old seizing before we did. Apparently while he was still post-ictal he became agitated and violent. One way you could say it is that the officers used force that was not completely necessary to restrain the patient. Another way of saying it was that they beat the living shit out of him. Friends of yours, PA?

Hmm, Ill have to ask around, might be.

Again let the cops take them into custody. While they are restrained I will do an EMS evaluation. If not a medical/trauma emergency behind the behavior cops can take them. If we take them they will be restrained and a cop will go with us.

Seeing it was Spenac thought I was the EDP, I have to borrow someone else's signoff, "Why am I not surprised?"

Anyway, when you hear what sounds like shooting close at hand, and your partner is yelling in your ear to get down to the next lower floor, and is leading the way so fast, the equipment he's carrying is still falling from being unattended in midair...get the idea?

;) it comes in handy-- Use and abuse any time!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.