You've Got to be Kidding

AZCEP

http://www.local6.com/news/14857286/detail.html

Student Arrested After Cutting Food With Knife

10-Year-Old Charged With Possession Of Weapon On School Property

POSTED: 3:40 pm EST December 14, 2007

UPDATED: 4:08 pm EST December 14, 2007

An elementary student in Marion County was arrested Thursday after school officials found her cutting food during lunch with a knife that she brought from home, police said.

The 10-year-old girl, a student at Sunrise Elementary School in Ocala, was charged possession of a weapon on school property, which is a felony.

According to authorities, school employees spotted the girl cutting her food while she was eating lunch and took the steak knife from her.

The girl told sheriff's deputies that she had brought the knife to school on more than one occasion in the past.

Students told officials that the girl did not threaten anyone with the knife.

The girl was arrested and transported to the Juvenile Assessment Center.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope they give her the death penalty. Criminals like her don't deserve to live. :roll:

This is more of the overboard world we live in. When I was in school we all had knives. We had pocket knives, knives on our belts, guns in our trucks. Just a normal day. Nobody thought anything about it. Teachers asked to borrow our knives. This is just stupid, have any of you tried to eat the shoe leather schools serve, you gotta have a knife to cut it.

I put it in "Funny stuff" because I couldn't stop laughing at the school board when I first read it.

Perhaps it would be better suited somewhere else though.

This is more of the overboard world we live in. When I was in school we all had knives. We had pocket knives, knives on our belts, guns in our trucks. Just a normal day. Nobody thought anything about it. Teachers asked to borrow our knives. This is just stupid, have any of you tried to eat the shoe leather schools serve, you gotta have a knife to cut it.

Yeah, but I'm thinking we grew up in a different culture than these kids. As you've mentioned in another post (I think), it didn't even cause a blip on the radar to have my shotgun on the rack of my pickup at school. But I wouldn't be comfortable with that happening at my local schools now.

Zero tolerance means exactly that.

A felony for a ten year old? Of course that's ludicrous. Arrest? idiotic.

I certainly think action should be taken, though, as she is ten. She needs to understand that some rules just need to be followed. I also think that a history of bringing a knife to school needs to be addressed. (I would love to see the knife. That would make a difference to me. Is it one of the round tipped, saw blade steak knifes? Or a 12 inch razor edged butcher knife.( I don't really expect the press to make the distinction) I would think there is a huge difference in the mind set of this child between the two).

Also, how does this get by the parents? I know everything that's in my boy's backpack every day. (Though perhaps it's different with normally developing kids. I'm not sure at what level of autonomy they operate at at that age.)

I saw an article (I can't remember where now) about one state having something like 2-3% of their kids,(Pulling the numbers out of the air) it seems like they were somewhere around 5-6 y/o, that had been suspended for sex crimes! This is that same type of simple minded, "I must be a very good person, because look how offended I am at such a small thing!", mentality that warps these children's sense of ralativity across different offenses/reactions.

What I hate more than the ignorance of the adults in this scenario, is the effect this will have on the little girl.

Tell kids they're bad, tell them that they're criminals or morally corrupt, and they'll believe you. We shouldn't then be surprised that they behave within the scope of the damaged persona we've provided for them.

Have a great day all.

Dwayne

Zero tolerance requires zero thought and zero throught has no place in any educational institution.

Technically speaking, I should have been suspended in high school because I took a lighter to school several times. A lighter is considered "drug paraphanalia," and thus is supposed to fall under zero tolerance guidelines. It wasn't supposed to matter that I had an actual reason to have one (band, will elaborate further if need be), but the vice prinicapal of supervision was ok with it as long as I didn't get flashy with it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.