Ink

SA_Medic

EMS professionals and tattoo's?  

42 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • As long as it's covered

you still have them to share with your peeps, but cover them up as a sign of respect for our profession and patients.

Although I have a tatt, I agree whole heartedly with this. Not everyone approves of tatts, and as respect to my colleagues and patients, I keep mine covered while on duty. A patient is already feeling vulnerable.... it is my job to make them as comfortable as possible, and part of that is my being as professional as possible.

At the moment, tatts are not viewed as acceptable as "casual Friday attire" or other things which may be acceptable in the work world. As a commercial bank manager for many years, I had a dress code to follow, as well as all my staff... and for good reason. I sent staff home if they showed up to work in less than professional attire. Clients expect professionalism... and when I am dealing with $40 million of their money, they value my opinion much more when I am wearing the black business suit than if I were in jeans and a t-shirt. EMS is the same way - we have an image we have to maintain, and for good reason - the people we deal with expect us to be professional, and whether we agree or not, they will value our abilities much more if they don't see the tatts. This may change in 30 or 40 years... just like the casual Fridays dress code in other workplaces... but until then, we have to do everything we can just to be treated as more than the red-headed stepchild of medicine.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me neither. The question is, whether or not you'll get a real EMS job. What happens when you run into an employer who hands you a dress code that forbids visible tattoos?

I already said twice now, well I guess this is the 3rd time, that I have NO, NONE, NADA problems covering them up! Infact, I said I would long before an employer asks me too. I will go to the interview with them covered, but infact, show them. Just so that I am not hiding anything, literally at the time of the interview. It will be nice if I dont have to. But, on my own accord, I will.

You do realise, of course, that many employers will not allow short sleeves in the summer, as everybody must dress the same (which is why we call it 'uniform'), right? Not to mention, after you work a couple of EMS shifts in long sleeves, you'll really, really wish you didn't have to wear them. they get filthy and stinky really quick. That first patient of the day that you pick up, with your arms under his pits, who had not bathed in a week, will leave his stench on your sleeves for the rest of the day. You'll have to roll your sleeves up and down fifteen times a day to wash your hands. The cuffs will get in the way of your gloves. The cuffs will get all sorts of mung on them. The rest of us solve that problem in the winter by rolling our sleeves up during patient contact. But wait... you can't do that.

Your solution sounds idealistically simple, but the truth is, it doesn't work. You are at a large disadvantage in the job market for the rest of your life because you couldn't live without cherries on you arm.

Now wait a second. I havent gotten snotty or snippy with you. I do believe I deserve the same respect. You are older than I am, and you live in a different area than I do. This is my life, and my choice. Again, for the last time, even before going through any hiring process for any ambulance company, I decided I would cover them up out of respect for the general public. Now if I have to bring 5 undershirts at a time on my shift, I will. Ive worn long sleeves before, I know the basics of them as far as rolling up, getting dirty etc. Just to make sure I dont get another backhanded comment. If it came down to it, and I HAD to get rid of the tattoos, I WOULD! Make no mistake, I know where my priorities are! We can go on and on and round and round about this. I see your points, I know what your saying, and I respect them. I do not think they prove professionalisim, or lack of. That is infact, my opinion. I am sure that I will find out all of this for certain once its my time to go out into that big scary EMS world. :lol:

I have 3 tattoos... On of a kick ass SoL on my right shoulder, heart with dagger and my son's name on left shoulder, and a celtic braid around my wrist.. My patients have commented on the wrist tat and all of them love it.. Several even thought it was a regular bracelet because it wraps all the way around my wrist.

Most of the time though it is covered by my gloves :D so bonus on the placement :D

• 3 months later...

I've considered having this done up in a tattoo on my shoulder blade (without the top half-moon thing, as this is actually a piece of jewelry), maybe with the celtic knotwork in color, but I don't know.

http://theemsshop.com/cgi-bin/ms2/rescuete...ter&q=SP113

I'm actually the only one among my siblings (7 of us) who doesn't have any ink. I won't get one until/unless I'm sure of why I want one, that it's not to just fit in with them or something. And I wouldn't do it for a couple years yet, as I'm new to EMS.

I'm actually the only one among my siblings (7 of us) who doesn't have any ink. I won't get one until/unless I'm sure of why I want one, that it's not to just fit in with them or something. And I wouldn't do it for a couple years yet, as I'm new to EMS.

So stay unique. Also good for you to decide to wait till you have been in EMS a while to make a firm decision.