Less talk, more action please.

Eydawn

Who wants to *really* try to change things?  

23 members have voted

1. 1.

• I just want to bitch about Basics. They suck.
    • I want to help educate people and change our system- but I don't have the time. Someone else do it.
    • I will actually endeavor to change our system myself, in whatever fashion I can.
    • What's everybody's problem? I like Basics!

The last two posters exemplify those I am talking about when I talk about those who just "get it." Both are people who did catch a fair share of crap when they first came here. But both quickly became people I really respect. Everybody has that chance. It's just that not everybody has the maturity or integrity to use it that chance.

Not that I am any apologist for the street gang lifestyle, but there is a very clear parallel between them and us. Even the n00bs with serious credibility still have to endure a beating in order to gain the respect of the group. It's not enough to just talk the talk. You have to walk the walk. That's why people like Kat and WANTYNU and Timmy and Captainstandup quickly move past a rocky start and become respected members here. I fight with that hard-headed CBEMT here on a daily basis, to the point that I want to shoot my computer monitor. But I still respect him as a well-spoken professional whom I would have no concerns about if he were caring for my family. We don't all have to agree on everything to respect each other for their passion, principles, and integrity. But, of course, being a respected member here is not of any serious consequence in life. What really matters is your growth as a professional. Success here is a great step in that direction.

I definitely didn't come here to be a mentor. In fact, I'm only now beginning to come to grips with the fact that I am really an "old timer" in this game, because medic school still seems like it was only yesterday to me. And I'm actually one of those medics who usually assumes everybody else is a little sharper than me because so much has changed over the last thirty years. Guys like Rid and AZCEP and chbare continue to humble me every day with their knowledge and professionalism. That's what I came here for. I came here to learn, and that's why I stay. If I can pass a little somethin'-somethin' on to a fellow traveller here to help him on his way, I want to do it. I have made every mistake possible in this field, so I'd really love to see a few people avoid them because they learned from my mistakes. Not everybody is receptive to that, but I am not going to let that discourage me from trying to help those that really want it.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fight with that hard-headed CBEMT here on a daily basis, to the point that I want to shoot my computer monitor.

Your restraint is admirable. :shock:

Me, I've gone through 4 monitors since I started posting here! LOL :)

But I still respect him as a well-spoken professional whom I would have no concerns about if he were caring for my family.

Aww. I might have cried, except for the knowledge that if I was treating Dust's family I'd let my volunteer Basics tech the call!!! ROTFLMAO!!! J/k, j/k.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

When I first came upon this site, I too was picked upon and downgraded by those that proclaimed that they were EMS Professionals, but could not even do the talk. The biggest debate was what color of light to use on your vehicle, and how many patches to wear and one that was griping because the State had removed her license for drug abuse.

Few medical discussions were made and then finally with time more in-depth, detailed comments on treatment, medical regime, were being made. It was about this time that many of us wanted EMT City to be more than some of those other "feel good" sites. Medicine is not easy. Not easy to learn, not easy to perform and yes there is tons of peer pressure. Sorry, that is facts of life. just watch grand round from medical students.

If one has a problem with a simple EMS forum, it is doubtful that one could stand ground in the field. One may has to justify their actions, and should be able to do so albeit in forum or direct patient care... it is called accountability.

Harsh.. maybe, but not as harsh as I have heard physicians, nurses and senior medics discuss to ones face. EMS is not a cuddling profession among peers, never has nor will it ever be. That is one of the screening processes. Show me a medic that has experience, and usually they will demonstrate the ability to rationally defend their point.

This site is tame to compare with other medical forums.. just check them out and you will see.

R/r 911

I remember as a wee lad joining this site. Quickly I locked horns with several here. I initially refused to open my mind. Thankfully I believe if my ancient mind is working, Rid, Dust, Ruff, and a few others pm'ed me. Asked me to tone it down and take time and see others views. They still occasionally have to remind me :oops: . They encouraged me to continue to post, to take part but back up my statements or ease up.

Oh well enough of these touchy kindness posts back to bashing everyone.

For me I have never been scared to post. However I do tend to think twice and proof read my post before I click submit as I have bang heads with some and had a few typos hehe :):lol: . I try and not get too involved in the bashing. The main reason I post rarely is due to a busy life style. The moments I get to read this site are many times few and far in between, and I enjoy much of that time as I learn and laugh as I read the post.

I am starting paramedic school in January and can't wait to ask any questions that my arise, and become a more knowledgeable member of this community.

Dust I'm ashamed you forgot me!!!! :) ......I have been here, hmm I forget exactly i think its close to a whole year and a half now. I've been ripped apart several times lol. in fact I just got a new one tore out in the teenage EMS thread not for posting my view but for mentioning a BS call I went on. But, hey I'm still here, and my I add with much better spelling and grammar thanks to Dust, Rid, And ruffems nearly committing homicide on my first thirty posts. :lol:

But, I think the biggest thing for me to say is how much i've learned. I know more about EMS as a whole not just my tiny volunteer service than over half the people who work there. I commonly bring up topics of suggestion and they just look at me like I'm stupid. So, id like to thank everyone for making this such an informative place and for making me hate a few of you several times lol.

EDIT:whoops I forgot spell check...I don't want a new arse ripped for this post lol

Dust I'm ashamed you forgot me!!!! :) ......I have been here, hmm I forget exactly i think its close to a whole year and a half now. I've been ripped apart several times lol. in fact I just got a new one tore out in the teenage EMS thread not for posting my view but for mentioning a BS call I went on. But, hey I'm still here, and my I add with much better spelling and grammar thanks to Dust, Rid, And ruffems nearly committing homicide on my first thirty posts. :lol:

But, I think the biggest thing for me to say is how much i've learned. I know more about EMS as a whole not just my tiny volunteer service than over half the people who work there. I commonly bring up topics of suggestion and they just look at me like I'm stupid. So, id like to thank everyone for making this such an informative place and for making me hate a few of you several times lol.

EDIT:whoops I forgot spell check...I don't want a new arse ripped for this post lol

Kyle, I'm gonna have to go back and look at those posts. I can't remember nearly killin you but maybe I did.

You are a prime example of one who has come a long way. I'm proud of you.

OK, this is a sign, it’s time to be afraid, be very afraid… Dust has gone soft! He actually said something nice about a dyed in the wool Noo Yawker…

I think I see a stocking stuffer TACTICAL O2 wrench in his future…. ;-)

I feel so warm and fuzzy, or is that the hypothermia setting in?

OK back to the point at hand, I’m not so sure about the “Tough love” preached here, but being able to stand up for one’s self has a valid point. We work in a field wrought with High Risk, Low Frequency events, sometimes with no time to make a decision (Thank you Dr. Gordon Graham). Under those circumstances there is no room for indecisive fear, it’s on you, just do it (Just make sure your documentation reflects your reasoning…) but that’s the real world.

This is not, it’s simply a forum for sharing ideas and open discussions, temperance on the part of the forum “elders“encourages participation, and after all isn’t that the goal?

Personally I don’t want to hear how well you can write a put down, ESPECIALLY for something trivial, in my book that’s just mean spirited.

What I want to hear is how smart you are though genuine discourse (so I can learn), and when I’m wrong, I don’t mind it being pointed out with a salient argument and supporting evidence.

Honestly, this is a time when it’s more important than ever that we stick together as a group, let’s scare a few politicians instead of folks new to this environment (there’s plenty time for that on the bus…).

As always IMHO.

Be Safe,

WANTYNU

PS. To the paramedic students out there, on my website under EMS resources I have most of my internet downloads and some notes as well as Links I used when I went to medic school, including the stuff I used in my refreshers (including the National), all of it is still great reference and practice material (Drug Calc reference, reading EKG, 12 leads etc). I post it with no strings attached because I strongly believe the better you look as a clinician, the better we all look. Good Luck on your Medic course!