Teenage EMTs - YouTube Video

AnthonyM83

Anthony, it all depends on the person.
It does, but I think it's more likely to happen with younger teens. They're also the ones our society tries to protect. It'd be nice to protect all, but after a certain age, it becomes harder and we accept adults might be exposed to worse stuff. Adults are also supposed to have better decision making skills on deciding if it's going to affect them bad enough that they shouldn't do the job.

There are many exceptions, but I don't know of a way to tell if the 14yro or 16yro is the exception or not. Also, some places have more traumas than others, so carnage is routine.

I also think what most high schools have to see and deal with everyday would suprise most of you.
Like what? What things do "most" high schoolers have to see and deal with everyday that they didn't, either, in most communities?

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We could sum it up briefly. These are children. Yes, some may or may not have seen problems, may or may not handle things appropriately.

We know scientifically many are impressionable, they are still developing. This is the reason we are to be discreet what movies they watch, videos that are played, lyrics that is listened. We allow those that make life mistakes, and crimes to use their age as justification as making those mistakes as well. Why? Because, it is well known they are still growing up, yes they are not adults.

Healthcare is a profession that sole job is to be responsible for others. Again, it is generally understood that most of the of those of not of age is not only not able to be responsible for themselves, but why would they be able to be responsible for others? Yes, there is always exceptions, but again that is why it is called exceptions.

Healthcare and specifically EMS is not that in dire need to have to recruit children. Rather, this program should be used as a education tool program only. It as any other program should be closely monitored on the amount and what extent they are exposed to. EMS should not be dependent on juveniles providing the care. Again, the adults, the city leaders, should be responsible enough to know that and as well make sure professionals that are mature, are educated are the ones that provide emergency medical care to their citizens.

R/r 911

But what about nasty, sprawling, urban centres like NYC, where a great many people have never even driven or owned a car in their lives? What happens when they suddenly take a job driving an ambulance, fire truck, bus, police car, or anything else all day long for a living? Sure, they may be thirty years old, but they have zero driving experience. Seems to me like this would be a problem up there, no matter how much EVOC you give them.

They DON'T drive-- they fail EVOC, wash out of the Academy, and go on to other things-- or, they listen to their instructors, get together, split the rental cost of a 24' box truck, and practice, practice, practice-- and maybe, then they can pass. It's a NYC requirement-- u must pass EVOC to drive, and you must be capable of driving (with certain exclusions) in order to be an BEMS employee.

*Head to forehead*

Here we are saying you shouldn't do it for staffing issues. Do it if you're interested in helping kids explore a field, NOT to make up for shortcomings in staff (heh...)

But seriously, don't use them as cheap labor. Address the problem and maybe reorganize your local EMS system. Who knows, the new way might spread to other areas.

The thing that seems to really be agitating me right now, is most of you are saying "at age 16 would they know how to treat it." They are EMT's they are TRAINED AND CERTIFIED EMTS. By the DOH. Therefore they are just as qualified as a 20 yr old taking the EMT class...the difference is they are younger!

I am going through here late, and you keep making stupid comments. I know there will be more after this, but damn, do you even think before opening your mouth?

EMS is a PROFESSION. Not a hobby, not an activity.

We keep allowing CHILDREN to do this JOB, how are we expected to progress?

What you have on PAPER, and I have in REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE just doesn't match up.

I thought it was a great piece. I am a new EMS manager in a small rural area in North Dakota`and I have approached the local high school about starting an EMT course. We are constantly short staffed and have to so something. Thanks, it was interesting.

Oh Christ, we are spawning more of them..... :roll:

If you are short staffed, HIRE, don't recruit children!

But, make an Explorer Post to start the education process of these kids. Nurture that spark of wanting to do something, give them direction, and keep them out of trouble. But, for the love of God, don't use them as manpower.

Surely I miss understand. There can not be any idiots out there planning on using kids to fill shortages. Up your pay grade, that will attract people to work. Crap surly I miss read that some idiot plans on this route for coverage. Please someone tell me I have misread that someone would be idiotic enough to start a program for kids to staff their ambulances. I am in complete shock. Does no one care about this profession?

I thought it was a great piece. I am a new EMS manager in a small rural area in North Dakota`and I have approached the local high school about starting an EMT course. We are constantly short staffed and have to so something.

Do the citizens that employ you know that your solution to the lack of professional medical professional services in your community is to use high school kids with a three week first aid course? I am betting that, if they knew the whole truth, you'd be the new ex-EMS manager real quick.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.