Teenage EMTs - YouTube Video

AnthonyM83

Has anyone considered that the problem is that the curriculum for EMT-B is so easy that a 16 year old is able to pass it almost blindly...?

I was licensed as an EMT when I was 17 years old. I completed the class with a stellar understanding and little effort. Looking back I thought I could handle it, but now some years later, I feel as if the state was and still is totally wrong for allowing it.

It isn't the death that bothered me. I was placed in situations that, looking back on it, were not appropriate for a 17 year old to be in. I was in no place to make some of the decisions I had to make. Flat out EMS should be a field that is entered after extensive collegiate education....end of story.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like working a shooting in a bar room you couldn't enter off duty, or delivering a premie in the projects, or dealing with a suicidal 40 yo father of 3 in the midst of a bad divorce? I agree some life experience beyond highschool and 120hrs is needed to perform adequately.

Nope. EMT should be increased to something like at least the equivalent of a college semester. 120 hours is pitifully small.

Most places it is a semester but what we are saying is even a semester is pitiful. Many would like to see EMT be an Associates and Paramedic being a BS.

No, EMT is not an "entire" semester. 120 hours of didactic classroom time is equivalent to approximately 4 credits. Full time at most community colleges and universities is 12 credits or more. Most students take around 15 credits a semester.

The EMT-B curriculum does not require a degree of any sorts. Seriously, it is basically an upgraded first-aid. What does need to happen is the recognition that true EMS is provided by EMS professionals. In other words, paramedics educated at the collegiate level (AAS or BS).

i think i'll throw in my 2 cents.

1. I dont think that there is anything wrong with letting 16 year olds taking calls. Like the 'broacaster' said in the video...that kid is going to retake that biology quiz or whatever. they are not missing out on assignments. they still have the same 'homework' and 'workload' as other students do

2. These 16 year olds are EMT-B. Like the girl said in the video...they have the same amount of training. no more no less than others. they have took the course, they have passed their exams. they are EMT's.

3. In the video it shows that the male and the female leaving to take a call...the ambulance appears to be parked outside. I dont think that there 'service' area is very high . i dont thnk that they serve a huge community or anything...so its not that bad.

Cons:

1. In the video it shows the girl changin into her uniform after getting that 'emergency call for that "suspected" heart attack :roll: '. I dont like that idea. What if its a cardiac arrest? They jsut going to stand there and change and THEN respond? stupid. thats wasting time.

think of it this way: if you suffered a full arrest...do you want some 16 year old EMT's grabbing thei stuff...running down the halls... :roll: changing into their 'uniform' :roll: then responding? heck no. if they are going to wear uniforms (which they should) they should just wear them the whole day and deal with other kids making fun of them :D

*note* and if you say: "Well if its a cardiac arrest then they will just grab their clothes and change inside the ambulance while repsonding"....why dont they do that on every call to help improve their response times?

And a sidenote...it says that they always respond with an EMT that is of an older age. Does he/she just wait inside the ambulance for a call? Is it a EMT-Chase-Unit?

....just my two cents.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.