Should I Write My Own EMS Textbook?

Should I write my own EMS textbook?  

42 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

As for why I don't get my NREMT-P....I have other priorities- I don't want to be a paramedic for the rest of my life. I don't want to be a fire department employee, I don't want to work 24 hr shifts as a paramedic, and in any job other than perhaps flight nursing, my EMS credentials don't mean crap inside the hospital. I don't make more money as an RT for being EMS qualified, I certainly won't make more as a dentist if I happen to be a paramedic. Yeah, I could probably smoke the course without a problem, but I simply don't want to. EMS is no longer my career- it's a hobby more or less.

I don't see why I should delay finishing my degrees and going on to dental school just so that I can be an EMT-P instead of an EMT-I. As for making more money, trust me Dixie, I can make far more as an RT by working in a NICU in a large city than I could ever do as an EMT-P even under the best of circumstances. Or better yet, I can finish my degrees go and get my DDS and pull in $100K a year more than any paramedic. :lol:

That answer your question about my reasoning?

I also understand that getting published is exceedingly difficult. I was just tossing around an idea when I started this thread. It probably won't go anywhere, but oh well. I have bigger and better things to do with my time.

As for my attitude....sorry, didn't mean to offend you.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for why I don't get my NREMT-P....I have other priorities- I don't want to be a paramedic for the rest of my life. I don't want to be a fire department employee, I don't want to work 24 hr shifts as a paramedic, and in any job other than perhaps flight nursing, my EMS credentials don't mean crap inside the hospital. I don't make more money as an RT for being EMS qualified, I certainly won't make more as a dentist if I happen to be a paramedic. Yeah, I could probably smoke the course without a problem, but I simply don't want to. EMS is no longer my career- it's a hobby more or less.

I don't see why I should delay finishing my degrees and going on to dental school just so that I can be an EMT-P instead of an EMT-I. As for making more money, trust me Dixie, I can make far more as an RT by working in a NICU in a large city than I could ever do as an EMT-P even under the best of circumstances. Or better yet, I can finish my degrees go and get my DDS and pull in $100K a year more than any paramedic. :lol:

That answer your question about my reasoning?

I also understand that getting published is exceedingly difficult. I was just tossing around an idea when I started this thread. It probably won't go anywhere, but oh well. I have bigger and better things to do with my time.

As for my attitude....sorry, didn't mean to offend you.

Steve

i see no problem with you writing a new text book, i say go ahead enjoy it.

there is always room for new texts on any subject and to have another for the prehospital field can only aid others in that field during their studies.

what i don't agree with is that you treat ems as a "hobby"

this is a career, whether you are paid or a vol. to treat it like a hobby s akin to making model planes.

ems is for people that are dedicated (of that i think you are) and not those that want to 'play' at saving lives.

if you know more than the 95% of others here, please at least back up your claims by not belittling ems by treating it as a 'HOBBY'

stay safe

Ok, I'll jump into the Fray... I'm not sure how much "buy-in" an EMT-I Author would get on a EMT-P Level text. I know that in my area, the guys are very supportive of the level of training that you have, but are NOT supportive of those who try to exceed their Scope of Practice.

Just got home from taking my NCLEX for nursing, and wow this has got hot. In my opinion some new textbooks, or just books on the subject are more than needed. They need to take EMS further than we are now. EMT and Medics are being called for things never thought of when this began. EMS has become a mobile house call if you will. Not that we will treat a great many of the things but we should have a good understanding of them.

Money is important. I am returning to nursing because I make more money at it than paramedics do. I will most likely redo my paramedic lic but I too will not work full time. I would do it for the enjoyment I get from it (gets in the blood). I may go into EMS education.

The current texts I have seen are written on a very low level compared to the other health professions. I think this needs to change for EMS providers to be seen on the same level as the others.

Just my thoughts

Chet

I wasn't planning on writing the book all by myself, even if I did decide to do this, only certain portions of it (cardiology, pulmonology, toxicology, airway management), the parts that I am most qualified to write about from both my perspective as an EMT-I, and an RT.

What does everyone think? Should I write a paramedic textbook? I would like to do so, only because I don't think the books out there are doing an adequate job to teaching physiology and things beyond the bare minimum. My contempt for Dr. Bledsoe and his book are well known. Does everyone think a new (more advanced and thorough) book is in order?

I do not mean to offend you, but as has already been mentioned, how can you write a paramedic book when you're only an EMT-I? If you really want to write a paramedic text, at least become one first.

I think everyone will agree that no matter how "good" a paramedic text is considered, there are always a significant number "secondary" books with any course. When I was in PCP school they used Mosby's as the "core" text, but honestly, besides looking at diagrams and procedure pics I basically never used it. We had so many other topic specific and more in-depth books that Mosby's was pretty much put by the wayside.

As an example here are the current core texts for a Critical Care Flight Paramedic in Ontario. And just so ya know this is WAYYYYYYY more in-depth than the CCEMT-P stuff I have seen. CCP's in canada are pretty hardcore.

American Association of Family Physicians. ALSO Syllabus. 2004.

Darovic, G.O. Hemodynamic Monitoring. 3rd Ed. 1995.

Garcia T.B., and N.E. Holtz. 12-Lead ECG, The Art of Interpretation.2001.

Katzung, B.G. Basic and Clinical Pharmacology. 9th Ed. 2004.

Mandeville, L. K,. and N.H. Troiano. High-Risk & Critical Care Intrapartum Nursing. 2nd Ed.1999.

Marino, P.L. The ICU Book. 2nd Ed. 1998.

Novelline, R.A. Fundamentals of Radiology. 7th Ed. 2004.

OAABHP. Medical Directives & Standing Orders. 2004.

OAABHP. Medication Information. 2004.

OAABHP. Medical Operations Policies & Procedures. 2004.

OAABHP. Medical Procedures. 2004.

OAABHP. Student Handbook. 2004.

Pilbeam, S.P. Mechanical Ventilation. 3rd Ed. 1998.

Pagana K.D., and T.J. Pagana. Mosby’s Manual of Diagnostic and Laboratory Tests.2002.

The STABLE Program. Learner Manual. 2004.

Walls, R.M. Manual of Emergency Airway Management. 2nd Ed. 2004.

So those, in addition to your PCP and ACP books from before equals quite a small library for the paramedic student at the top of his or her game.

And as for USAF's arrogance? Meh, in this field you kinda have to be a bit arrogant. It comes with the territory.

Damn, I knew you Canadian medics had it hard as far as schooling goes, but damn. No wonder Richard's in such a pissy mood all the time.

You wouldn't see any American paramedic program involving texts on mechanical ventilation, diagnostic imaging or diagnostic testing. Sounds like the Canadians have the right idea- education as opposed to training.

Ill buy two when you get this book published, which will probably be the second tuesady after a pig flies out of my ass. This is assanine that you would even think you are qualified to spearhead a medical books creation. You mention that you would only do "sections" but you pick some pretty big sections, I hate to tell you buddy, none of the current texts have one individual writing an entire section. It is a collaboration of multiple PROFFESSIONALS from within that field who have had decades of experience, youre what 25?

Get off your high horse, and realize its unlikely that you actually know "more" than 95% of the people on this website, and you are not any where near qualified or capable of doing this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.