I would appreciate your advice and input.

Kaisu

In my paramedic lab, there is a student that cheats on the tests. He uses his cel phone to look up the drug trade/generic names. I really don't care what other people's marks are. What concerns me is that this guy is going to be on the street, taking care of people. I would not be comfortable with him taking care of me or someone I care about. What should I do? Should I turn him in. Would that make me a fink? Should I just mind my own business? I would really appreciate any input you may have.

I can only speak for my own opinion here. While others may tell you that it is easier to shut your mouth and turn a blind eye, I do indeed believe this person should be turned in. First of all, most academic facilities have a specific statement on plagirism and academic misconduct.

Most of these will explicitly tell you that it is your duty to report this type of behavior. Even if you decide not to single this person out for whatever reason, ask your instructor to make a no cell phone policy during tests. This should be standard already that they must be turned off and stowed for tests.

Good luck.

Sorry, never liked cheaters, especially when it comes down to them having the knowledge in how to treat a patient. Turn them in, too bad, so sad, time for them to grow up. I would not care what others think, at least I would know that they would not be treating anyone

Good luck!

R/r 911

Before turning him in, why not talk to him first? That would give him a chance to stop cheating (and possibly turn himself in).

I'm pretty sure he would just blow me off... he's a bit of a jerk. Comes to class late, is often unprepared, etc. It would be the honorable thing to do all right. DAMN - I wish I didn't have to deal with this. It opens all kinds of questions that I'd just as soon not have to deal with. I really appreciate the input and the advice. I'm going to sleep on it.

I'm pretty sure he would just blow me off... he's a bit of a jerk. Comes to class late, is often unprepared, etc. It would be the honorable thing to do all right. DAMN - I wish I didn't have to deal with this. It opens all kinds of questions that I'd just as soon not have to deal with. I really appreciate the input and the advice. I'm going to sleep on it.

You know, I'm going to take a shot here, with no offense intended.

You and I seem to think along the same lines on many things, and I had this situation recently...

I'm going to guess your real question isn't "should I be the fink?", because I don't believe you hold to the 5th grade "don't be a tattler", or "brothers don't rat out brothers" nonsense when it comes to academic standards. (You and I don't have any 'brothers' that want to get through school without learning)

I'm wondering if your question isn't really "Is doing the right thing, fixing what is an obvious flaw in maintaining the standards in MY school, worth the fallout?"

The altruistic answer is certainly "hell yes! Do what's right!"

But that's not always real life is it? During my first phase clinicals I witnessed some things that made my blood boil. These things went unreported because I couldn't report them and then still expect to intern in this system. We have to pick our battles, and I can't win these battles as a student. But I won't be a student much longer....

Yet, I noticed in one of my harder biology classes that some of the poorer students suddenly couldn't make it to class on any days of our exams. One day I went to meet with a teacher and while waiting went to the library, and here were all of these 'lesser' students sitting together. I went over to say hi and things got very quiet, until I realized that they were sitting together taking their exam! Books open, freely discussing each answer. No proctor, no supervision, no real concern that they might get caught. I said “Wow...Nice job guys. This one is on me. But you should trust me when I say that next time I see this you will pay a heavy price.” Of course there were threats, and tears, and claims of “I've never done this before”, etc.

I then sent an anonymous letter to the superintendent of our branch of the college saying, more or less, “It's common knowledge that cheating is easy here. The next time I become aware of it I will write a letter to the editor of our local paper asking if this is the academic standard we wish to support in our community.”

The very next time I went into the library there were cameras in a designated “testing area” with monitors on the desks of each worker and counselor there.

One thing I could change, the other I couldn't. Yet.

It has made things a bit uncomfortable from people in 'that' crowd, (Mostly 'cold shoulder' crap), but that crowd isn't my crowd anyway. It really has been for the better, for me, and for the school.

I guess my point is this. I have a hard time seeing you letting this go. You can do what's right, without torpedoing yourself at the same time. But if you don't leave things better than they were when you found them, what separates you from the 'sheep'?

Besides, I owe you a few favors. Keep a list of those that give you grief and I'll drive over and we'll run around school and slap the jello out of the whole lot, all in one day...then go have coffee!

Your posts make your intellect and your values clearly evident. There may come a time when it's the right thing to do to back up your peers. Don't get confused and believe these people (person) are your peers. Anyone that's read your posts knows better.

Good luck in whatever you decide girl.

Dwayne

I am told that ALL US Military Academies have a policy, equating cheating as reason to throw someone out. They also have a policy, knowledge of cheating but not reporting it, that would also get a student thrown out.

However, what I just read, of enforcing a "No Cell Phone In Class" rule, seems to be an easy way out of the situation.

Thank you all so much. I really appreciate the time and the generous words. I did turn the student in. All along, I was worried not because of possible reprecussion, but because I wasn't sure it was the right thing to do. I once cheated back in 4th grade and was caught. I'll never forget the humiliation and the shame that I felt. I mean who am I to point a finger ? The other part of it was that I don't respect the guy. He a me first sort of fellow and I'm not sure why he's in the field. I wanted to make sure that my personal feelings about him were not the main reason I wanted to turn him in. You all really helped clarify the issue for me and I totally appreciate it. Thank you again.