The death penalty

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a kid in Nebraska when Charley Starkweather went on his killing spree and they fried him in the chair. I had young children when Jon Joubert kidnapped two boys and murdered them, they fried him. Now people saying the electric chair is cruel and inhumane, they are saying that about lethal injection as well. Guess Gary Gilmore had it right, 1 bullet to the head and your gone. I am for the death penalty, not for all the appeals. Currently in Nebraska two Minnesota Teens are appealing their life sentence for murder. They shot and killed a man and wife in a robbery and fled back to Minnesota. They feel their sentence is excessive since they did cooperate with the police etc.

When we went on a trip to the Bahamas we took a private tour of Nassau and we asked about the crime rate. That have very little crime there. You commit murder, you get your trial, but the guilty verdict brings a penalty of death, no appeals. Robbery, rape etc. Life in prison and they are not luxury accommodations the states have either.

are you kidding?
No, I'm not, I'm either misunderstanding you or something's going on.

The event with Constable Scott just occurred and the suspect turned himself in and an arrest has been made, it's to soon to know what he's getting off with, he hasn't even started his real trial, most likely.

Or are you saying that anything other than a death penalty sentence is a slap in the wrist?

Gotta say, in a uptopian society I am all for the death penalty (although I guess in a uptopian society there wouldn't be a need for death penalty). If you kill someone or rape someone you should be sentenced to death. My concern is the number of people who have been sentenced to death row and later have been found to not be involved with the crime. I would not want to be the one who is sentenced to death or have one of my family members executed if they did not do the crime. In an ideal world I think it would be great, but in the real world that we live in, the legal system here (and elsewhere) is flawed and innocent people would be put to death. Let the bastards rot to death in prison. It will cost us a lot less in taxes (and isn't that the only things the republicans care about).

I actually had to read an article recent on the death penalty for my English class. The author was a former federal prosecutor who said that people who are accused of atrocious crimes, but are innocent, are much less likely to take a plea bargain than those who actually commit the crime.

People want to prove their innocence and, unfortunately, go to trial and are convicted of crimes they did not commit. Especially in atrocious crimes such as pre-meditated murder, child murder, and the like, prosecutors are pressured to find the culprit and put a quick end to the situation.

The system as it stands is flawed. Am I in favor of the death penalty? Yes and no. Yes in that I believe people should be punished accordingly for their crimes, an eye for an eye as has been stated. I am not in favor of the current system we have.

On the subject of child molestation, I say put those guys with so much love to give into the general prison population. You know, with the lifers who have kids of their own on the outside that they haven't seen in years. Let's see how well they fair against them.

Gotta say, in a uptopian society I am all for the death penalty (although I guess in a uptopian society there wouldn't be a need for death penalty). If you kill someone or rape someone you should be sentenced to death. My concern is the number of people who have been sentenced to death row and later have been found to not be involved with the crime. I would not want to be the one who is sentenced to death or have one of my family members executed if they did not do the crime. In an ideal world I think it would be great, but in the real world that we live in, the legal system here (and elsewhere) is flawed and innocent people would be put to death. Let the bastards rot to death in prison. It will cost us a lot less in taxes (and isn't that the only things the republicans care about).

Disagree:

Our society has degraded to the point of ideologically bs so way beyond a rational thought process and based on rights and political correctness, IN FACT this last case quite amazing, word has it that the Officer had not even opened the door of his cruiser to exit, and was murdered in cold blood didn't even see it coming..

So then the other officers "negotiated" with the killer for many hours to surrender when a sniper with one inexpensive round would have ended things in a timely manner and more far more than justified .... but no they didn't..... so why then ?

The interesting part of this Doc, is that the Supreme Court of Canada has made a precedent setting judgement, as a result of this KILLERS forefathers and ancestry and due too many 'harsh" penalties placed on others of this "status" (in the past) that no longer would this culture be "subjected" to the charge of Premeditated Murder (I think they call it murder in the first degree down south) justifed/ rationalised a result of cultural differences ? huh ? Premeditated Murder will no longer be an option for the Crown in this case just a lesser charge of Manslaughter..... am I making sense because NONE of this ideological bs makes any sense to me !

Killer here, loaded a gun walked out of his home and shot a Cop in the head.... no premeditation here ?????

So pointing these diffences out do I therefore become a Racist or is being treated differently ie (with different punishment) based on culture or Race and I dare speak my mind ..... is this NOT the definition of Racism or am I just a confused person once again.

What has happened in past is history not something that should be somehow be compensated for as far as the LAWS for ALL ..... not saying that their were not errors, but sheesh, TWO WRONGS do not make a RIGHT in my books as for this is not of pertinate to EMS.... huh just where do you live [HellsBells] what are you thinking man .... never had a need for RCMP to back you up, hey brothers stick together man.

Now on to our prison/SPA system, average about 70 G a year per asshole, no forced work camp but have conjugal visits, awesome food, re;education prn, and federal prisoners can vote in federal elections too..... SAY WHAT ? ps I was in a camp 2 years ago and I did not get to vote why, because, the oilfield workers yea the ones paying taxes, providing energy so you don't freeze in winter.... oh don't get me going..........................

So bottom line there are far too many rights for the accused vs. the rights of the victims, in that regard I BELIEVE that eventually Canadians will stand up and fight for the rights of the many vs. the bs minority rights for the few, I just hope its in my lifetime.

Bring the death penalty back I SAY, assholes don't ROT in prison they eat better than most kids.

So as an MD I ask you this :

DO Surgeons cut the Cancers out of a BODY or treat with Chemotherapy to kill those Cancers?

Is time perhaps that we eliminate the CANCERS from our society ?

cheers on Rememberance Day.

I remember WHY and I am ashamed that some others have forgotten why so many died to preserve our way of life, if you will excuse me 11/11/11.

I do not believe humans have any place controlling the life (or death) of another human. We are an imperfect species and in my belief thereby imperfect in what we do...be it the legal system or anything else. I think Western civilization as a whole is a great example of how wrong things can go.

The crimes used as examples here are wrong, there is no dispute on that. But I agree with ERDoc... the legal system is far too flawed to be relied on to determine a person's fate. And a foolproof system is impossible to achieve because of countless mitigating factors (i.e. human error or corruption)

I would never claim to know the right answer to deal with these problems that are only increasing in frequency and upset me as much as anyone. I just don't believe 'playing God' is the way to do it . Does no one remember Shakespeare? Absolute power, corrupts absolutely.

On the same note, so as to not offend my good friend tniuqs, I agree that our system has in fact become too wishy washy. We cannot correct errors that our forefathers have made...and it is troublesome to think that the folks we've put into power think they can in fact right those wrongs today. I also agree, prisons should NOT be nearly as comfortable as they are today and nor should prisoners be afforded as many 'perks' as they are.

I'm comfortable with harsher penalties, but do not foresee a time when I would be able to condone taking another person's life for any reason whatsoever. It is murder no matter how you look at it. And I say this, having experienced loss of loved ones, as the result of violent crime.

On one final note, as anyone in EMS understands...nothing is black and white. Our lives are not made from cookie cutters...nor should our solutions be.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.