Armageddon has arrived

ERDoc

Amputate! No, but we have a bottle of betadine on the rig to disinfect our own injuries. Anything that breaks the skin in the ambo leaves you open to gawd knows what kind of infections. Best to get it checked at the ER, just in case.. Go to work healthy, come home the same way.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My partner did not like the idea of me amputating anything. My partner did report the incident as an exposure and did have the ER treat. Just trying to find out if there are other protocols to follow

But will try to convince my partner that amputating is the best bet :twisted:

How many isolation carts are other providers noticing in the hospital hallways? There is apparently an initiative JCAHO for nasal colonization of MRSA which has resulted in routine screening of all patients for MRSA in the nares.

Go big or go home.

That's why I take Rifampin and SMZ-TMP with every meal. You can't be too careful! And honestly, you learn to love the orange urine after awhile.

I think the thing to remember is the fact that we ALL have MRSA on our skin. You can disinfect your ambulance and as soon as you step back into it, MRSA is there again. What about VRE or C-diff?? All 3 of these are prominent in nursing homes.

People all over the country are going off half-cocked without having all the necessary facts. The news makes it sound like MRSA is the newest flesh-eating super-bug and it isnt, its been around for eons and again, we all have it.

I think it's making the news simply because it's spreading outside nursing homes now and popping up more often. How long it's been around doesn't count for much, rather what the thread/risk level is the to the public.

Dust beat me in, with the Hitchcock movie "The Birds". Good pickup!

It is also coincidental, this is the week after another Santa Ana winds supported California wildfire, and we have the remnants of Hurricane Noel pushing extra high tides onto the northeastern coastlines of the US and Canada today (Saturday November 3, 2007).

Also, I just heard that Father Guido Sarducci announced that the Pope has caught the "Bird Flu", apparently caught from a Cardinal. LOL

Just as a cold-read news story, I don't think even the Week End News Update people at Saturday Night Live could have kept a straight face reading that one.

Perhaps that does give some credence to the "Urban Folk Tale", or is that "Tail" (pun intended) of a homosexual person having either a Gerbil, a Hamster, a Ginny Pig, or a mouse, up their rectum ("Rectum? It didn't just rectum, it damn near killed him!").

Dude, back in the late 80's I had a gay driver for awhile. We dropped by his house one day on shift to pick something up, and he had gerbils everywhere. It was truly disturbing. :shock:

Lets not forget that there are 2 main types of MRSA. Community acquired and hospital acquired. The nasal swabs was checking for community MRSA which can be treated with easily with Bactrum. Hospital based MRSA is the bad one that you also find in nursing homes. The public isn't being told the truth by the media as usual. It's hyped up and they can scrub those showers all they want but it's only gonna take one kid with MRSA pimples to wrestle some dude and spread it again. It really isn't as bad because I've had it. The only way I knew it because I got some pimples where I never got them before. One quick round of antibiotics and they were gone. Let's face it the public are sheep being led by the media giving half the facts to sell their story.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.