Teachers and cell phones

So what do you guys think about teachers using there cell phones in class?

I know as a student it gets old after a while and I don't care if the teacher is talking on the phone or texting there child who is also in school it bugs me. As students your phone has to be turned off and put up at all times I understand the reasoning behind the rule and no I don't think that teachers should have to turn there phone off. I do think that they should only use it in certain situations.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At 17 I'm not sure what level of education you're at. High school or college?

Though for me it doesn't really matter. Your teacher is responsible for much more than what comes out of their mouths. They are responsible to set a professional example for students. I don't care what level of education that falls under.

When I started one of my college level courses, our syllabus was full of errors, things that were crossed out before copying and had lines drawn through them. This teacher was famous for failing people based on lengthy papers that were required for class. I had read many of those failing papers, and found some of them to be outstanding! (She was not very smart, but very much a bully). Though I had encourages these people to challenge her judgments at higher levels, very few, if any did so unfortunately.

At the beginning of class I approached her and said "I take my grades very serious. If You should find my papers lacking, I will expect that you can justify your impressions to others. If we should disagree about your impressions, I will be taking my syllabus with me as the example you've set for academic standards in your class, when I challenge them."

She said "It's just a syllabus! Things change constantly, with what I'm paid here I don't have time to retype it for every semester!"

I said "I'm not challenging that, I'm simply trying to be fair by letting you know my intentions."

The next class we had clean, rewritten papers, as were all others I received in her class.

If my teacher talked on their cell phone more than once or twice a semester (I've never had it happen), I would simply pack up my books and leave the class.

The next time it was an issue, I would request from the administration that I be allowed to change classes to a teacher that valued my education. There is NO acceptable reason your teacher should be more focused on their phone than on their students.

I prep hard for my classes, so there is little new information to be learned from lecture. I expect them to be for clarification, not introduction. It's important that you don't tie your good education to your instructors competence, you will fail if you do so. But if things are to change, we must expect a higher level of conduct than you appear to be seeing now.

For two years I've gotten my son ready for school every morning, and as I've put him on the bus heard him say "Bye daddy! See you tomorrow!"

The time I spend in class is not free. It's comes at a very high personal cost. My teachers had better be prepared to fill every minute with their undivided attention.

But that's just me...

Dwayne

I've only had one teacher who answered his cellphone in class. He was a psychologist and occasionally had patients call. I excused it on the basis that some of his patients may be mentally unstable and he needed to be at least momentarily available for them.

I had one teacher who would occasionally answer his text messages in class, but the class itself was very informal, not highly academic, rather more real-world related (granted was at a community college, I took psychology of sex just for fun on the side). He would tell us who he was texting and the gossip on them...which would usually relate to some topic we were actually discussing in class.

There is only one reason that a teacher should be answering their cell phone.

Emergency call from their family.

No other time.

My son's football coach, stephanie, was coaching last saturday and every 2-3 minutes she checked her cell phone and would answer text messages fully interrupting the coaching. She sort of just stopped coaching and concentrated on the text message.

I told her that she needed to put her phone away and coach and she apologized but went right back to texting when she thought I didn't see her.

I took her aside and said "Stephanie, apparantly your texting is more important than my son's practice time so Liam and I will be leaving and I'll be calling the Parks and Recreation department notifying them of what you were doing"

I told Liam we were leaving and we walked away. I made that call and got two phone calls later that day. One from the director of parks and rec and one from Stephanie with apologies.

I told them that it was unacceptable behaviour and that we paid 60 bucks for this class(flag football) and I wanted a refund based on the class that was ruined. I've yet to see the money. It will be interesting to see how Stephanie coaches this Saturday.

If your teacher is using a cellphone in class at all, he or she is acting in an incredibly unprofessional and unethical manner. There is a job to do, and the distraction of texting and/or talking will only make it more difficult for her to do the job, and for the students to do what is required of them.

I would be inclined to talk to the administration, or your parents, or even the PTA, to find out what the school or board policy is. If there is a "no phones" policy, it should be enforced; if there is no such policy, one should be introduced.

ya know if the kids get detention etc for using a phone handheld game etc

why isnt there any reprecussions to teachers for using their phones??i mean seriouslyt shouldnt there be

i know of cases where schools went on lockdown the kids werent allowed to call from the school parents werent told and the few kids that used the phones to tell p[arents were suspended but it is ok for them to talk on the phone ,txt etc while they are teaching our children?

something is definitely wrong with this picture

apology or not she will do it again just wait