a funny but sad nursing home story....

itku2er

My partner, in his part time job as a medic on a fire department, went on a call to a rehab hospital (a glorified NH). They tried resuscitating her, but nothing worked - tube, IV drugs, nothing. They got permission to stop the code, and went back to station. At shift change, the tones dropped for the same hospital, same room, for a cardiac arrest.

Turns out night shift didn't tell day shift that there was a dead pt in one of the rooms. A nurse walked in, saw the pt, started CPR. LOTS of people got in trouble over that one.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She agreed with me, wrote up the nurse and pointed out that there was a chart in the break room on proper hiemlich maneuvers and that the nurse should study it.

:D:lol: LOVE IT!!!

I was dispatched to a facility for choking...got there, there is another one of those retarded CNAs trying to shove mac&cheese down the patient's throat who is also laying supine on the bed. Now I have a tendency for speaking before thinking and immediately I said, "Here's a thought! Stop force feeding the poor man and sit him up and he won't be gagging on the food!"

Turns out night shift didn't tell day shift that there was a dead pt in one of the rooms. A nurse walked in, saw the pt, started CPR. LOTS of people got in trouble over that one.

I do hope the folks in trouble were the ones working the "hospital", not the FD/EMS responders. Can you clarify, please?

Has anyone ever gone on a call to a nursing home for an unresponsive with CPR in progress and you get there the NH nurses aren't doing CPR

We had it one night actually I think the only reason why they weren't doing CPR is because rigermortise was setting in, but still if we get dispatched for the unresponsive WITH CPR IN PROGRESS I expect to see you doing CPR

Has anyone ever gone on a call to a nursing home for an unresponsive with CPR in progress and you get there the NH nurses aren't doing CPR

We had it one night actually I think the only reason why they weren't doing CPR is because rigermortise was setting in, but still if we get dispatched for the unresponsive WITH CPR IN PROGRESS I expect to see you doing CPR

reminds me of the calls from our dispatchers telling us that the patient is a full code. we get there and the patient is sitting up in the wheelchair. What dispatch meant was that the patients code status was full code.

Where is Devin? He has a short tale from one of his books just like this...

I do hope the folks in trouble were the ones working the "hospital", not the FD/EMS responders. Can you clarify, please?

Oh yeah, it was the nurses at the hospital. The night nursing manager was busted to floor nurse, and I don't remember what happened to the room nurse. There were about three or four people that were either demoted or canned over that one.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.