Tattoo question

You wouldn't want to hire them and I didn't hire them. It was a shame for one young man fresh out of school with a brand new BS in Emergency Medical care and a shiny new paramedic card. This kid came to the interview with some kind of earring type device above his right eye, had a tongue piercing that distorted his ability to speak clearly and finally had what appeared to be a chain tatoo that came up his neck just above the collar. This kid scored higher on the pre-employment exam than anyone before him. He scored marginal on the interview but in the meeting afterward where we tally the scores and make the hiring decision everyone on the committee expressed concern regarding how this guy would be perceived by patients. It may be acceptable to hire someone like this in a metropolitan environment but in a mostly rural community it would not be well received.

Tattoos are statistically correlated with increased health risks, lower income, lower education, smoking, drinking, substance abuse, promiscuity, self-destructive behaviour, low self esteem, non-conformism and rebellion, an inability to resist peer pressure, psychopathology, and a laundry list of personality disorders. Why would I want to hire this person?

I thought these were prerequisites for employment in EMS.....lol

I do have a "tat" of an eagle on my left arm, and have regreted it over the years, but for the most part could really care less. However, the pics Marty showed us are definately ones to avoid. The person wearing the Hitler tat should be shot in the head. I'd love to be the trigger man, if I knew I could get by with it. :twisted:

I thought these were prerequisites for employment in EMS.....lol

LOL! I hadn't thought about it before you said that, but you're right! I do see a whole lot of those qualities prevailing in the EMS community. :shock: Of course, I would like to see that change.

This is off of texems list bulletin board bit off topic.

Don't know author.

It also Fits EMS nicely, well that’s just me, I guess ........

Someone who is equipped to - and at least marginally willing to provide a certain specialized service, Said person is near-universally looked down upon as a lesser form of life, not deserving of common courtesies, referred to with derogatory words, and totally disposable right up to the moment when they're desperately needed. Even then, treatment received generally increases only to the consideration level given to indentured servants.

There may be a brief moment of recognition and possibly gratitude at the end, but it's uncommon and altogether fleeting. The completion of one job brings only the beginning of the next job. There's pay or some other quid pro quo involved, but nowhere near enough unless the person in question can and does cater to unusual needs, and even then it might not be enough. Said person may often be trying to get out of this life and typically fails -

recidivism rate is high.

May be forced into or back into the life by circumstance, or by "just one time and that's it" thinking. Tends to wear clothing styles and/or carry specific items that make their profession obvious. Typically required to work criminally-long shifts and late nights, and associate with undesirable elements of society. Day to day life involves getting screwed over rapidly and frequently.

May develop serious health problems as a direct result of the work, even if preventative measures are properly taken, often works in dirty, loud, hazardous environments with notable temperature extremes. Gets a high percentage of work via word-of-mouth, can often be found with a group of people in the same line of work, bitching about the life in general and particular clients in specific. Probably still likes the service being provided to some degree, but probably not in the context of work -maintains a firm line between doing it for personal reasons and doing it on the job: the former is for actual enjoyment. The latter is solely for obtaining money, though pride may be taken in possessing the skills necessary to do the job well.

Can only pick-and-choose clients if *exceptionally* skilled and in demand, or has a *very* understanding boss who makes it a point to look out for employees. Usually bills by the engagement, hired by clients with little-to-no regard for lasting consequences, who likely will demand things without actually knowing what they entail, and who don't care about why or how or what is needed, only how fast it can be accomplished.

Above was a definition of a prostitute.

I have tattoos I carefully chose them, thinking about one for several months and one for several years. Both spots were chosen to never be seen in professional life as so will be any further ones.

We had a couple guys who were almost militant about the fact that they were double sleeved and it didn't change who they were so why did they have to wear long sleeved shirts during summer. One guy went to the point of getting swallows on his hands to prove a point. They both ended up getting fired for unrelated events, but it used to astound me that guy with a foot long pot leaf tattooed on his forearm could actually bitch about having to cover it with a shirt while working in a professional environment. And the boss allowed them to wear T shirts when we got in turnouts just like the rest of us.

I cut myself off, on my posting on page 4 of this string.

The Yakusa, the Japanese version of the Mafia, seem to be heavily tattooed.

I had a falling out with my girlfriend, when she got 2 tats, one on each forearm. One says "Bad Girl", the other is an apparent Chinese lettering that is supposed to say "Good Luck". She is, after all, a teacher!

And no, we didn't break up, but we were kind of strained for a week afterwards. She wears long sleeves when she is at work, or at anything where she appears in some official capacity in public (We both volunteer at a local politician's office).

I have seen many of these (lumbar area) tats in Chinese lettering, this may be an old joke but I do ask the young Ladies if they can read Cantonese or Mandarin....short answer, nope.

I inform them that unknown to them as I am well versed in these Languages.. the lettering does NOT mean, long life, health and happyness, wealth or love.

It's says "WIDE LOAD"

te he

I have seen many of these (lumbar area) tats in Chinese lettering, this may be an old joke but I do ask the young Ladies if they can read Cantonese or Mandarin....short answer, nope.

I inform them that unknown to them as I am well versed in these Languages.. the lettering does NOT mean, long life, health and happyness, wealth or love.

It's says "WIDE LOAD"

te he

That is AWESOME!!!!

I am so not worthy! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Peace,

Marty

It's says "WIDE LOAD"

te he

I can't wait to try this one!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.