Tattoo question

The small virtually unnoticeable tatoo you described will likely be no big deal, but who knows? In my former life I was in administration and tried to remain as as open minded as possible. I must admit that myself and the entire admin staff would have been likely to have a negative perception of someone with "inappropriately placed" tatoos or those with content that opposed social norms. There is no way in hell we would have hired someone with facial tattoos or those that would have cast the agency in a negative light. I realize this may seem old school but I assure you there are sorely few professionals in health care management that will perceive "overdone" tatoos as a positive attribute.

This isn't to imply you don't have a "right" to freedom of expression, just remember the powers that be also have a right to hire or promote someone else. In a service industry such as ours we have to remember that customer perception of quality is often based more on our appearance, demeanor and kindness, than clinical ability. Finally, who wants someone looking like Marilyn Manson taking care of their grandmother?

It's not a matter of how the person with the tattoo chooses to express themselves. The subject matter of the tattoo is what is important to the individual with it.

The topic is company policy about tattoos, and possibly the 'justification' behind it.

Whether people agree with my tattoo(s) is irrelevant, as is the way I decide to express myself (what's in my tattoo).

Further, examples have been shown here that prove that the geriatric patients would rather deal with an EMT (again, license level doesn't matter) that looks professional, as opposed to one that scares the living hell out of them!

Body art is fine for the clubs, home, and whatever scene or group you want to belong to. It has no place on the job, or in uniform.

We want to be taken seriously as professionals, and have the patient feel comfortable in our skills.

By showing up on a scene with more ink than the Sunday funny papers, or enough metal in our faces to set of metal detectors in 3 contiguous counties at once is NOT the way to inspire confidence in our skills or our professionalism!

Well Said LONE!

You sure your not from Kanukistan?

Yes

What, exactly, do you use to support that claim? My undergrad, where I spent the last 4 years of my life, wasn't exactly the place where all the students shared the same skin color, religion, or opinions. You know, I almost miss the constant fighting between the Jewish and Muslim student groups.

Yeah, I kinda call BS on VS's claim too. In my "community," Christians and Jews are vastly outnumbered by Muslim, Sikh, and Hindu. So many that even those groups split up into sub-sects. They're so busy fighting each other that they have no time to fight the other religions. We get told where, when, and how we can worship, what we can wear, say, read, watch, and think, so as not to offend the other groups. How many of the rest of you have to put up with that on a daily basis?

If you think other religions are more tolerant of "body art," you're very mistaken.

I think I'm going to get the O_RLY owl tattooed on my arse! :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.