Go Ahead and Hate Your Neighbor Go Ahead and Cheat A Friend

I would agree that the charge of not having searched is tossed about a little liberally here. It's a fair charge in most cases, but sometimes not. It's a subjective call, and sometimes a difficult one to make. If it's difficult, as this one was, I think it's best to give the poster the benefit of the doubt. I would say that the big factor is not whether or not a topic has been previously discussed. The big factor is whether that topic has been OVERdiscussed, and frequently. When somebody comes here, registers an account, and then before even checking for their welcome letter starts a new topic asking, "Any advice for a newbie?" my first reaction is to answer, "Yes! Use the GD search function!" Topics like those are not just previously discussed. They are beaten to death. There is no excuse for failing to see that. People who do that are showing us that they aren't interested in our community. They just want their question answered so they can go away. That is no loss to us. If they aren't even bothering to click on our topics to read, you can bet they're not clicking on any ads.

Just posting by itself does not establish credibility. Quality, not quantity. And part of the quality I look for is a real, demonstrated interest in the profession and the EMT City community. Those hit-and-run, one-topic posters contribute little to the community except chaos. Captainstandup is definitely not one of them, and I never suspected he was. Sure, we've talked about eating our young and the political drama that permeates EMS before, but it's not one of those definitive issues that is answered in black and white. And he presented it in a way that focused it better than previous discussions. I vote not-guilty. :lol:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, let's keep in mind that a lot of the posts by newbies could also be by people who aren't very familiar with the internet and even less familiar with the concept of message boards and search functions. They should at least be applauded for finding their way onto this site and TRYING to participate.

Also, let's keep in mind that a lot of the posts by newbies could also be by people who aren't very familiar with the internet and even less familiar with the concept of message boards and search functions. They should at least be applauded for finding their way onto this site and TRYING to participate.

Excellent point! I agree that being positive with the new guys until they prove themselves, after time and guidance, to be boneheads.

I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd.

I just love that line, thanks Sir Marty !

Thing is sometimes I feel more like a sheep .....opps that was a slip of the tongue.

If you'll accept a couple of observations from another newbie, 1. I found this thread using the search function to figure out how to set up my Avatar. I believe the search criteria was "updating profile." So the search function doesn't always work as well as it should--sorry. 2. An opinion on the original line of thought. I have noticed that the medics and basics who are gung-ho EMS all the way are the ones getting backstabbed by more "relaxed" EMS personnel (didn't want to use lazy). The thing is that the hard charging attitude when not tempered by wisdom can lead to mistakes in the field or overstepping protocols. I hope when I get my medic I can keep my "teach me, please" attitude. Thanks, Steve-the human sponge. . .so got anything to teach me? LOL

An opinion on the original line of thought. I have noticed that the medics and basics who are gung-ho EMS all the way are the ones getting backstabbed by more "relaxed" EMS personnel (didn't want to use lazy).
I've actually observed the opposite in many cases. The relaxed personnel aren't as worried about always having the upper hand or covering themselves (when it comes to workplace...not medical stuff), so when it's time to point fingers they unprepared relaxed guy gets it.

Often the more gung ho guys are also the ones that Dust described as being in the "in crowd", so management just gets their opinion on things and other people.

I probably should have clarified that that happened in a town of 2,000+ citizens. The medics that I was thinking about are some of the most knowledgeable and willing to teach, but got moved out from the central office. They were shunted to substations. I also should have acknowedged that your point does take place. I think I fell victim to the mentality of the people here, and forgot about my experiences in the outside world. The local service here is very insular and (for lack of a better word) inbred. Thanks for your point, and reminding me that there is a world outside the 100 mile radius of where I now live. Thanks for replying. Have a great day. Stay Safe.

I probably should have clarified that that happened in a town of 2,000+ citizens. The medics that I was thinking about are some of the most knowledgeable and willing to teach, but got moved out from the central office. They were shunted to substations.

Wait... a town of two-thousand people has EMS that actually has a central office and substations? :shock:

Not privy to budget, sorry Dust, but they run 2-3 paramedic units out of base a day, plus 1-2 transfer units--think the personell fot transfers are called in though. The home units cover at least 32 miles outside of town, because they picked up a pt. 200 yards from my house. Let's see substation in Jasper, that's a good 40-50 miles from base station, and I think at least 1 or 2 others. Come to think of it, they cover at least 3 counties, maybe 4. They work in conjunction with the local hospital, but outside the municipality they do overlap with the units from St. John's Hospital.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.